DNA from brother

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DNA from brother

All the males on my father's side are gone. would I be able to use my brother's baby hair to get the DNA on my father's side? Also I still have my brother's ashes, but not sure if they can be used for YDNA? I hope this does not sound to weird. Sometimes it is hard to let go.

Pam

Originally posted by pamelaw
    All the males on my father's side are gone. would I be able to use my brother's baby hair to get the DNA on my father's side? Also I still have my brother's ashes, but not sure if they can be used for YDNA? I hope this does not sound to weird. Sometimes it is hard to let go.

Pam
    Hi Pam,

I doubt if ashes could be used. Sometimes hair can be used if the root is still attached. You should contact FTDNA directly at [email protected]

Have you gone back and looked at each generation of your father's paternal line looking for a brother with sons and then on down his paternal descendants? We have Hurst 7th cousins with 67-marker matches.

Bill Hurst

Comment

All my dad's brother's are dead. 2 had no children and the other had a daughter.Their was only one son that was my brother and he is gone too..My brother never had children.

As far as my dad's uncle's I am sure they are dead to as they would be pretty old as my dad was born in 1914.

I really don't know how else to find a living relative who would be in my line that is related.

I don't think my brother's hair will work, as it was cut just a little when he was a baby to save a piece of his red hair. No roots.

One thing I did just find out after finding some old papers that my dad had information from the German Consulate General in Los Angeles,Ca. That he had received something about nobility, and he was going to send a letter to the archives in Germany to find out more info. I can't find any other letter to see if he did that, but it is something that I will pursue.

Pam

Comment

Working...
      X