Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

If my mom does her mtdna haplogroup test...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• If my mom does her mtdna haplogroup test...

...can I update my own maternal haplogroup info on my ftdna profile based on her results, or would I need to do a test of my own? (I'm male and at the moment only have my ydna haplogroup listed based on a big-Y I did recently).

As neither of us has done the autosomal family finder test I'm assuming the answer is no as I'm not sure how I'd prove the maternal genetic link between us, but just wanted to double-check.

Thanks...

Although you and your mom will have the same mtDNA there is no way to add her results to your kit.

During the sale I suggest you get FMS for one of you and Family Finder for both of you. Your autosomal matches you don't share with your mom will be from your dad.

You can add FF to your kit and combine FMS and FF in her order.

Comment

Originally posted by Jim Barrett View Post
      Although you and your mom will have the same mtDNA there is no way to add her results to your kit.

During the sale I suggest you get FMS for one of you and Family Finder for both of you. Your autosomal matches you don't share with your mom will be from your dad.

You can add FF to your kit and combine FMS and FF in her order.
      Thanks, that's helpful. All she wants to know is her mtdna haplogroup as we already did the autosomal stuff with ancestry dna, so I think what I might do is carry out the mtdna test myself on the assumption they still have my sample from the big y and it would save time.

Comment

If you already did the autosomal stuff with AncestryDNA, then you can transfer it to FTDNA for free:

https://www.familytreedna.com/autosomal-transfer

Comment

The advantage on doing your mother mtdna instead of yours is that once you do any tests for her, her dna will be stored and you will be able to do other future tests for her

She will not be living forever, however new dna tests, that may be useful, may appear in future

Comment

Working...
          X