Understand haplogroup

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Understand haplogroup

My mtDNA haplogroup is U5b1b1-T16192C! I have read about mutations and am wondering if I have interpreted my result correctly? The reference source reading at position, 16192 is T. My matching position had mutated to a C (16192 C), which has mutated back to the reference source, a T. The exclamation mark signifies the back mutation.

I had been wondering about when this mutation might have happened, then found some dna records of a Viking massacre in the grounds of what is now St. John's College, Oxford. One of these has the exact same maternal haplogroup as me (or I of him), so I guess it was a long, long time ago. The dig dates the remains to around 880 AD.
    Last edited by lescoyi; 24 March 2021, 07:25 PM.

That sounds exciting and tasky at the same time. About the Viking Massacre, researchers have found 37 skeletons in a burial site at St John's College way back 2008. Studies showed that these are mostly men aged between 16 and 25.

Comment

Originally posted by lescoyi View Post
      My mtDNA haplogroup is U5b1b1-T16192C!
      Marker 16192 is highly variable in haplogroup U5, so it's not a very useful marker. The reverse mutation T16192C! could be very recent in your maternal line. It is more useful to check for any other extra mutations that might indicate a closer match with other samples.

Comment

Working...
      X