H

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• H

I am full sequence MTdna tested as H1G1, the last bit apparently indicating some sort of rareity, but having read many basic overviews of MTdna testing, watched videos, googled etc i still dont understand the importance or not of what being h1g1 means. Does anyone have any insights? i am happily finding generational matches and doing FF corresponding work, but does anyone know how this mutation is significant? Geographically i can see where it started off from Mitochondiral Eve and the H maybe for some mitochondiral Helena but G1 is what i want to understand because i realise H is a common haplogroup as is H1. I have a couple of pages of h1g1 matches under the MTdna matches which is great and i am gettingon with reaching out to those people, but some more pertainent information as to the sub sub category would be great.
    On another matter, I expected a lot of Scottish and English dna as that is what autosomal testing reveals along with 8% SCandanaian, but in fact full sequence mtdna testing has thrown up a lot more Scandanavian than my autosomal tests. However the confusing thing is i seeing SWedish names that match names in a DAnish 3rd Great GRandfather tree on my mother's fathers side... I have researched records and on Anccestry am dna matched back to my 5th great grandmother, a Margaret Davidson in Aberdeenshire born. 1765 . I have Davidson clan on my paternal side as well but i cant match them up and the trail dies at Margaret so far maternally. However the most intriguing facts i have found is : a women who has written a book 'The first 54,000 years' by Karin Bojs: she says H relates to a belonging to a particular branch of the genealogical tree beginning with 'Helena' a woman from a group of early farmers known as haplogroup h1g1. They can trace their historical origins back to Greece,Albania, Croatia, Serbia, Hungary, Germany and Belgium and on the other side of the English Channel and Scotland. So since she and I are both H1G1, I searched on mtdna matches on FTDNA and i am h1g1 matched to a Bojs man and also on FF - his most ancient ancestor is a Katrina Eriksdotter b 1739 the same as that of the author so nearly 300 years ago. This author in reverse to me has much more Scottish than she though she would have being Swedish born. She speculates that one of her ancient Scottish female ancestors may have been the only one of her group to leave Scotland either by marriage or enslaved . The names on the Bosj cousin tree are mostly Swedish but they match many of my Danish ancestral names on my mother's fathers motther's father's father side (Dahl) - so my maternal grandad's paternal maternal paternal side, but not found that dates or places of birth match, as mine are from a small Danish island,Bornholme, in the middle of the Baltic, although a few are also from Norway. So yes i have sleuthed a lot, i just cant understand yet what is specific to being h1g1 and only two people and are in in this group on the Mtdna H and HV Group Project which i also belong to here and on Facebook.
    Any new insights on h1g1 specifically would be appreciated, i have followed all the links posted and some videos for mtdna. thanks
    Deborah

The #1 idea to remember is that your mtDNA is ONLY inherited via the direct maternal line: your mother, her mother, her mother, etc. and so on. It is possible that there were some marriages in your direct maternal line which had the same surnames as you have in your other line (such as Davidson), but with the typical way that females change surnames each generation this may be misleading (including the Scandinavian patronymic naming system).

Your paternal relatives, and paternal relatives on your "maternal grandad's paternal maternal paternal side," should not be related to your mtDNA matches. Perhaps if there was some close cousin marriage long ago in that family, this could be possible. Someone can correct me on that point.

You might consider joining the Scottish mtDNA Project at FTDNA. They may be able to give you some guidance. According to Scottish Genetics: Abstracts and Summaries, H1g1 is included among those haplogroups and subclades occurring in that project. H1g1 is actually a subclade (branch) of haplogroup H1, not a personal mutation. You may have a particular personal mutation in your mtDNA results, about which it would be best to consult a project administrator. If you have already been told you have a private mutation, you may want to submit your FASTA file to GenBank. If others in your subclade with the same mutation also submit to GenBank, it may define a new subclade. You can read about this in Roberta Estes' post, "Mitochondrial DNA – Birthing Haplogroup Subclades."

I do not think that most of the many mtDNA haplogroup subclades have had their origins determined yet, so you are not alone wondering about the origin of yours. Time and research will eventually provide answers. Your H1g1 is one of many subclades of H1, which you can see on the most recent mtDNA tree, PhyloTree.org - mtDNA tree Build 17 (using the "Find" function in your browser and typing H1g1 will be the easiest way to locate it). You will note that the mtDNA tree is vast, and H1 (as a descendant of earlier branches L3 > N > R > R0 > HV > H) has many branches itself.

For what it's worth, Eupedia's section on subclades of mtDNA haplogroup H does not include H1g1, but does have H1g, for which it says "found especially in Germanic countries."

Keep in mind that mtDNA haplogroups and subclades can be many thousands of years old, and your relationship to your matches may be before a "genealogical timeframe" (per the definition in the Glossary in FTDNA's Learning Center:
    The genealogical time frame is the most recent one to fifteen generations. Recent genealogical times are the last one to five generations.
    Scotland, Scandinavia, and Germanic lands are among the many places that all had various migrations, invasions, etc. during those thousands of years. You can try using the Advanced Matching Tool to see if any of your mtDNA Full Sequence matches are more closely related to you.

The book by Karin Bojs, which I have not read, seems to be an overview of her personal genealogy and European people, going back via her haplogroup to ancient times. She apparently started the overview of her line back to its origins within haplogroup H, based on her subclade of H (H1g1), then down to her own family's more recent path. The use of the term "Helena" was originally from the last portion of Bryan Sykes' book, "The Seven Daughters of Eve: The Science That Reveals Our Genetic Ancestry," which was one of the first books (2001) to popularize mitochondrial DNA and its haplogroups for the general public. In the latter part of this book, he wrote stories for the lives of imaginary women for each of the seven major haplogroups known at the time, with his "Helena" representing the overall H haplogroup (not H1g1 specifically). While these fictional stories were interesting and imaginative, the earlier parts of the book are more highly regarded. Plus, other mtDNA haplogroups were determined since his book came out, so there are now more "daughters."

Comment

dMcPherson, I just noticed that your post about your mtDNA was erroneously posted in the Y-DNA haplogroup Project forum. Perhaps a moderator can move it to a more relevant subforum.

Comment

Working...
      X