Basic vs Full

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Basic vs Full

I've taken the mtFull test and have a haplogroup of T2b4b. I'm trying to actually use this for a genealogical purpose and think I have a good use case. I've got an ancestor where we haven't been able to find a marriage record and suspect he might have been married twice and that there are children from both marriages. I've got a direct maternal lineage to one sibling and somebody else has a direct maternal lineage to the other sibling. The haplogroups should match if they had the same mother and won't otherwise. I know a mtFull DNA test would be definitive but what about a mtDNA Plus? My understanding is that the haplogroup information from this test would be T or T2. Since this is a test to answer a straightforward yes/no question, what are the odds of a false positive where there were two different mothers and both showed as a match?

No idea what the probabilities are of it happening in general, and it would likely vary based on the population in question and the Haplogroups involved. But I do know the odds the drop very quickly as you go into deeper detail. In theory, it is possible to get a False Positive even with a FMS(sisters, 1st cousins on the same maternal line, etc). I imagine this could be particularly so in a region with endogamy going on, but being able to demonstrate that is what happened is probably another matter.

Basically in order to know the probability of it being an issue, you would first need to test someone to that level.

Comment

If you find someone that you think might be related to your down your maternal line, have them do the full sequence and FF. I have hundreds of matches through the HVR2 level with people who show simply haplogroup H. My brother shows as an H while I show as H10c1 as I did the full sequence. Since all but one of my matches at the FMS level have taken the FF test, I know that none of them are with in recent genealogical match to me. None of us are cousins according to the FMS. Having the FF test done quickly shows whether your really are connected to a FMS match or just connected thousands of years in the past.

Comment

The haplogroup will only tell you that you share an ancestor from within the last roughly 2,000 years. Sure, it may make it more likely that your theory is correct but it's not going to be conclusive. My mom and dad share the same mtDNA haplogroup even though my dad's matrilineal line is Italian and my mom's is not. Sharing the same haplogroup could still mean your theory is wrong and you're haplogroup ancestor was from much, much longer ago.

You need to determine if you match each other much more recently than that, and for that they likely need to do full sequence as well.

Comment

Working...
        X