Ashkenazi - What side?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ashkenazi - What side?

I'm a relatively new beginner when it comes to DNA and thus I don't know a lot of the technical stuff many here probably know. Ancestry says I have 1% Ashkenazi Jewish background, FTDNA says 2%, and then DNA Land says I have 4.9%.

From what I understand, that group is from about 600-800 years ago. I doubt I would ever be able to build my family tree back that far and learn who my family member was as to where my Ashkenazi background comes from, but does any one know how I can try to determine at least what side this comes from? My dad's side or my mom's side? I was adopted, so I now know a bit about the dad's side, Great Britain and not sure before that. Birth mother's side I am trying to learn. My paternal/ maternal is:

Y-DNA I-P37
    mtDNA J1b1a1-T146C!

Knowing which side this comes from would be a nice first step as to learning more about this part of my background. Does any one know if it's been determined if there is any way to know if the 12 tribes of Israel might have unique info. as to those of Jewish background to know what particular tribe they might be from?

Originally posted by MH.70 View Post
    Ancestry says I have 1% Ashkenazi Jewish background, FTDNA says 2%, and then DNA Land says I have 4.9%. [...] where my Ashkenazi background comes from, but does any one know how I can try to determine at least what side this comes from?
    Not without phasing your DNA results with a birth parent's autosomal DNA, or finding another close genetic relative sharing Jewish DNA with you.

Originally posted by MH.70 View Post
    Does any one know if it's been determined if there is any way to know if the 12 tribes of Israel might have unique info. as to those of Jewish background to know what particular tribe they might be from?
    Not most of the tribes, but the tribe of Levi and the priestly caste of Cohen are distinguishable in Y-DNA.

Comment

Working...
    X