Italian A8a

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Italian A8a

Hello, is there any information out there about MTDNA Haplogroup A8a, particularly in Italians?

Looking online there is not much information I found about Haplogroup A, and even then it seems focused on Native Americans and Asians.

My grandfather's mother's line is Italian, has always been Italian and they were all actually born in Italy. The farthest back the maternal line goes is circa 1800 in Morro Reatino, Rieti, Italy.

So far everyone I have asked just seems shocked an Italian gets this Haplogroup....but I am hoping for a bit more (and I reallllly hope more Europeans do DNA tests so we can learn more. It seems to America focused )
    Last edited by Anizio; 26th May 2017, 02:57 PM.

A quick search finds a couple of mentions for haplogroup A8a.
    First, at haplogroup.org, which says:
    Geno 2 data includes one person with maternal origin information. They are from Italy.

With limited but diverse information, it is difficult to determine the migration path of this lineage. It was likely part of an Asian population that migrated East to modern China and West to modern Europe.
    (my bolding above)

There are some other mentions about A8a in this paper, "The History of Slavs Inferred from Complete Mitochondrial Genome Sequences." Here is one:
    The presence of the A8a1 haplotype among Poles supports the previous hypothesis that occurrence of A8a lineages in central Europe may reflect the probable medieval migration of the nomadic tribes from Siberia.
    Perhaps, a very long time ago - before written records - your direct maternal line ancestor was part of an Asian population (possibly Siberian or from Tibet) that traveled west to Europe, eventually ending in Italy.

Comment

There are three projects at FTDNA for "A" haplogroups. Two are for A2 and A4. You might consider joining the third one, the general "A" project, which welcomes "everyone whose mitochondrial DNA falls into haplogroup A." Checking the results page in that project, there seems to be one member with haplogroup A8, and another, with oldest ancestor from Poland, with haplogroup A8a1.

Perhaps the admins for that project can help you.

FTDNA does sell and ship their kits worldwide, with very few exceptions. But I don't think residents in some European countries are as interested in genetic genealogy testing as those in the U.S. are, so far. One can hope that this will change in the future.
      Last edited by KATM; 26th May 2017, 04:17 PM.

Comment

Here is the latest phylotree for mtDNA A.
        Entry classified A8a, probably Siberian
        Entry classified A8a1, probably Siberian
        Entry classified A8a1, probably Polish

Comment

Thanks, the MyOrigins does list a small percentage of Eastern European DNA, I suppose that could explain it.

I tried contacting the project leads for the A Haplogroup project but all they did is try to scam me by asking my to pay for their opinions...

Comment

Originally posted by Anizio View Post
            Thanks, the MyOrigins does list a small percentage of Eastern European DNA, I suppose that could explain it.

I tried contacting the project leads for the A Haplogroup project but all they did is try to scam me by asking my to pay for their opinions...
            myOrigins and mtDNA are two completely different things, so most likely the small amount of EE that you have is coincidental, if in fact the EE is accurate.

What exactly do you mean that the admins asked you to pay for their opinions?

Comment

Just to clarify:

Strictly speaking, MyOrigins examines nuclear DNA, which is different from mitochondrial DNA; but of course, you have inherited both your mtDNA and half of your nuclear DNA from your mother. Hence, if indeed your mtDNA has an Eastern European origin, it stands to reason that at least a small percentage of your nuclear DNA would come from that same region.

Comment

Originally posted by vinnie View Post

What exactly do you mean that the admins asked you to pay for their opinions?
                Exactly that. I joined there group and used their email addresses they had posted. I asked them specifically what they know about A8a haplogroup in Europe since it is mostly found in Siberia and Native Americans.

The response was "I offer an hour’s worth of research and a short report in a Quick Consult. If you are interested, you can purchase at this link: "

They wanted me to pay them to tell me about why my haplogroup is in Europeans. I did not pursue it, but I get the impression they would have charged me to "research" my maternal line, which would have been a huge scam. Funny enough the link they sent me to pay them no longer works....hmmm....

Originally posted by lgmayka View Post
                Just to clarify:

Strictly speaking, MyOrigins examines nuclear DNA, which is different from mitochondrial DNA; but of course, you have inherited both your mtDNA and half of your nuclear DNA from your mother. Hence, if indeed your mtDNA has an Eastern European origin, it stands to reason that at least a small percentage of your nuclear DNA would come from that same region.
                Yes this is what I meant

Comment

Hi Anizio,

I sent you a private message.

-Darren
                  Family Tree DNA

Comment

Exactly that. I joined there group and used their email addresses they had posted. I asked them specifically what they know about A8a haplogroup in Europe since it is mostly found in Siberia and Native Americans.

The response was "I offer an hour’s worth of research and a short report in a Quick Consult. If you are interested, you can purchase at this link: "

They wanted me to pay them to tell me about why my haplogroup is in Europeans. I did not pursue it, but I get the impression they would have charged me to "research" my maternal line, which would have been a huge scam. Funny enough the link they sent me to pay them no longer works....hmmm....

Yes this is what I meant
                    I had trouble with the Haplogroup A group administrators in the past although that was just a non responsive administrator, it looks like there are new ones now. They shouldn't be answering project members like that, hopefully it's taken care of and administrator removed if need be. I think I would rather get no response at all from an administrator than asking for money for a response.

In the past I was helping a woman who was Haplogroup A and their direct maternal line traced back to Europe specifically to Denmark. They never did the full mtDNA test though so I'm not sure what branch of A they were from. I did see Denmark had colonies in Greenland so I figured that's where her maternal line came further back and then from there to Denmark then to the Unites States but wasn't sure. As you say there doesn't seem to be a whole lot of knowledge as to the various branches of A.
                    Last edited by mattn; 13th June 2017, 07:50 PM.

Comment

Working...
                    X