Haplogroup results for Aunt and Niece

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Haplogroup results for Aunt and Niece

I had the mtDNA test done for my mother and her maternal half niece. As expected their Haplogroup was the same (H10f).
    So were all the values listed on the Results Section.

However, in the Ancestral Origins Section (HVR1, HVR2, and Coding Region Matches) although they both show this

Genetic Distance -3
    Country Denmark
    Match 1
    Country 392
    Percentage .3%

The niece also shows this:

Exact Match
    Country United States (Native American)
    Match 1
    Country 1375
    Total Percentage .1%

Could someone explain why there is this difference?
    Since my mother shows up as the only exact match for her niece in the Matches section. I would think she'd be that match, but her Ancestral Origins doesn't show Native American (although her Ancestry results do).
    By the way, they both show the same three Genetic Distance 3 Matches in the Matches section.

Did you test after October 2015? There are problems with the match list for people who received their results beginning in November, and that might explain the difference.

I'm a volunteer for the H10 haplogroup project, and if you join the H10 project I can compare the results and try to find the cause of the difference.

Gail

Comment

Hi Gail,
      My mother's kit was ordered October 15th, 2015, and her niece's on December 29th, 2015, so I suspect the tests were during that time period.
      Since I didn't initially have any responses to the original post, I sent a request to the Help Desk asking for their take on it. Here's their reply:

"Thank you for your email. In pulling up the two kits side by side I see the same ancestral origin information except for a difference in one United States (Native American) entry. This is because the entry is found on kit B10339. So she will see one less entry on her results since her own results will not appear in the Ancestral origins section. However with the broad haplogroup H mtDNA this should probably be listed as unknown origin since the ancestry would have European origins as opposed to Native American origins. For Native American ancestry we would expect an mtDNA haplogroup such as A, B, C, D, or X2a."

Per your suggestion, I have joined the H and H10 projects. I'd appreciate your view on this, too.

Comment

The FTDNA person is correct. For one of your kits, you selected "unknown" for country of origin, but for the other kit you selected "United States (Native American)". Both kits should be "unknown", unless you know the country of origin for your maternal line. H10f probably originated in northern Europe about 3000 years ago, and it is found in people from the UK, Ireland Denmark, Norway and Finland.

However, your matches are not being shown correctly. You should have 3 more exact matches. The 3 people who are currently shown as a genetic distance of 3 are actually exact matches with your mother and her niece. When FTDNA fixes the problem with matches, you will also have more matches at a genetic distance of 1 to 3.

Comment

I don't recall selecting either 'unknown' or 'Native American' for either kit. When would I have done this?

Comment

On the green release form that you have to fill when submitting your sample.

Comment

The bottom two paragraphs on the RELEASE FORM are:

Ancestor's Country of Origin: FTDNA maintains a database of family ethnic origins. If you would like to be in this anonymous web accessible database, please write the country of origin of your most distant known ancestor in the space provided. Please note, listing your ancestral origins is anonymous and will not release your name or contact information to matches.

Paternal ___________________ Maternal___________________ If your most distant known ancestors are from the United States, please indicate whether they were of Native American of European descent. If you are not sure, leave the fields blank.

Comment

I doubt very much that I would have put Native American, as this has only been proposed though a much debated paper genealogy. Since the half maternal niece was already deceased (it was an upgrade from the Family Finder) I was responsible for both forms.
                Oh well, at least I know it was a clerical error rather than an actual genetic mystery. Lord knows I'm having to deal with enough of them already!
                As for this observation
                "However, your matches are not being shown correctly. You should have 3 more exact matches. The 3 people who are currently shown as a genetic distance of 3 are actually exact matches with your mother and her niece. When FTDNA fixes the problem with matches, you will also have more matches at a genetic distance of 1 to 3."
                Any idea when we can expect this fix?

Comment

Working...
                X