HVR1 Exact Match?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• HVR1 Exact Match?

Me again, with the dumb questions, sorry.

When I clicked on the Match Map within my mtDNA results, I got a couple of HVR1 exact matches, and on the HVR1,HVR2, Coding Region match list, I have a couple of 0 step matches. What does this mean, exactly? I am especially interested in what an 'exact' match involves, and why is only in one area of the coding?

Thanks in advance for your patience with a 'newbie'.

You are really only interested in the exact (genetic distance of 0) matches for HVR1, HVR2 & Coding Region. You and them are from the same matriline, that is share mtDNA.

How far back is your MRCA = Most Recent Common Ancestor (g*-grandmother)? Difficult to say, anywhere from 100 to 1000 years.

Matches at HVR1 and HVR1, HVR2 levels can depend on privacy settings. But you can ignore them, as MRCA could be 10 000 years ago.

W. (Mr.)

Comment

Thank you so much!

Comment

Originally posted by dna View Post
        Matches at HVR1 and HVR1, HVR2 levels can depend on privacy settings. But you can ignore them, as MRCA could be 10 000 years ago.
        For people who have recent mutations in HVR1, the HVR1 matches can also be quite useful, potentially more useful than non-exact FMS matches. For example, if a person has 10 FMS matches at a distance of 1 to 3 steps but no exact 0-step FMS matches, and that person also has 2 exact HVR1 matches who have not yet tested the FMS, it is possible that those two people could be exact 0-step matches in the FMS (although they would need to do the FMS test to see if this is the case).

My advice is that if you have hundreds or thousands of HVR1 matches you should ignore them and only consider FMS matches. This scenario suggests no recent HVR1 mutations and the common HVR1 maternal ancestor could be many thousands of years ago. On the other hand, if you have a small number of HVR1 matches, this suggests a more recent mutation in your common HVR1 maternal ancestor, and it could be worthwhile contacting those matches.

Comment

Originally posted by GST View Post
          For people who have recent mutations in HVR1, the HVR1 matches can also be quite useful, potentially more useful than non-exact FMS matches. For example, if a person has 10 FMS matches at a distance of 1 to 3 steps but no exact 0-step FMS matches, and that person also has 2 exact HVR1 matches who have not yet tested the FMS, it is possible that those two people could be exact 0-step matches in the FMS (although they would need to do the FMS test to see if this is the case).

My advice is that if you have hundreds or thousands of HVR1 matches you should ignore them and only consider FMS matches. This scenario suggests no recent HVR1 mutations and the common HVR1 maternal ancestor could be many thousands of years ago. On the other hand, if you have a small number of HVR1 matches, this suggests a more recent mutation in your common HVR1 maternal ancestor, and it could be worthwhile contacting those matches.
          He had some FMS matches, so I gave him a short advice.

Your explanation makes this thread not confusing and applicable to other FMS testers. Thank you GST.

W. (Mr.)

Comment

Originally posted by GST View Post

I do not have any exact matches through FMS.
            My great aunt (mother's mother's sister) is a 1 step match from myself on FMS.
            I then have 8 matches at 2 steps. Unfortunately none of these matches have shared anything that even vaguely resembles a family tree so it is difficult to determine anything further.

Comment

Originally posted by N21163 View Post
              I do not have any exact matches through FMS.
              My great aunt (mother's mother's sister) is a 1 step match from myself on FMS.
              I then have 8 matches at 2 steps. Unfortunately none of these matches have shared anything that even vaguely resembles a family tree so it is difficult to determine anything further.
              What about your great aunt? What are her matches?

W. (Mr.)

Comment

Might I join in?

Ok...so for my HVR1 matches; I have 48 matches.
                For my HVR1 & HVR2 combined I have 20 matches.
                and for my HVR1, HVR2 and Coding Region I have 18 matches, 17 of them are 3 step matches, the other one is a 2 step match.
                (I have no, as of yet, 1 step or 0 step matches)
                Yet, the people on my HVR1 list (only) are the ones who are most closely related to me out of the other groupings?
                ::Newbie here too::

Comment

Originally posted by LadyAlaise View Post
                  Ok...so for my HVR1 matches; I have 48 matches.
                  For my HVR1 & HVR2 combined I have 20 matches.
                  and for my HVR1, HVR2 and Coding Region I have 18 matches, 17 of them are 3 step matches, the other one is a 2 step match.
                  (I have no, as of yet, 1 step or 0 step matches)
                  Yet, the people on my HVR1 list (only) are the ones who are most closely related to me out of the other groupings?
                  ::Newbie here too::
                  Those who are matching you at HVR1 might or might not be closely related to you.

One needs to look at their results for HVR1, HVR2 and Coding Region. If they did not do the FMS test ( = HVR1, HVR2 and Coding Region), then you do not know until they test.

To learn more please read

W. (Mr.)

Comment

Thanks W (Mr.), I will look at them.
                    I also have that unique mutation in my coding region that according to my haplogroup project admin; no one else thus tested in my Haplogroup has....so I am confused as to the possibility that my HVR1 matches could be of a close relation? (Again, unless I am missing something)

Comment

Originally posted by LadyAlaise View Post
                      Thanks W (Mr.), I will look at them.
                      I also have that unique mutation in my coding region that according to my haplogroup project admin; no one else thus tested in my Haplogroup has....so I am confused as to the possibility that my HVR1 matches could be of a close relation? (Again, unless I am missing something)
                      The HVR1 and HVR2 regions don't include the coding region. So, you can't judge if the HVR1 match is a close relation until they have also tested the full sequence, which includes the coding region.

At the point that your match has tested the full sequence, then you'll know if the match has the same rare coding region you have, making it possible the match is fairly close. If the match doesn't have your rare coding region mutation, then it's less likely (although not impossible) that the relationship is close.

Comment

@LadyAlaise

When displaying matches at the HVR1, HVR2 and Coding Region level, you are getting a listing that includes matches that might differ from you at up to three SNPs (mutations).

Therefore, having just one unique mutation does not mean that you are missing any highly relevant matches.

Looking at HVR1 matches, when one has tested HVR1, HVR2 and Coding Region, can be useful if you want to find for whom you could offer a gift of FMS upgrade . As until a test is performed nobody can predict whether it is heads or tails...

Mr. W.

Comment

Working...
                        X