H1a - There and Gone

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• H1a - There and Gone

When my mom initially received her mtDNA test results, FTDNA one of the matches as Finland with Saami in the note. Also, there was one match as Finland with Karelia in the note. The match and note for Karelia remains but the match and note for Saami does not remain.

Has anyone had something similar happen with their mtDNA results? Why would this happen? Should I contact FTDNA about it?

Thanks for sharing your experiences and suggestions!

Cheryl

Hi Glass, Do you remember the match # you are referring to? just curious.

Comment

@Cheryl

Originally posted by Glass View Post
      When my mom initially received her mtDNA test results, FTDNA one of the matches as Finland with Saami in the note. Also, there was one match as Finland with Karelia in the note. The match and note for Karelia remains but the match and note for Saami does not remain.

Has anyone had something similar happen with their mtDNA results? Why would this happen? Should I contact FTDNA about it?

Cheryl
      Was the match at HVR1, HVR2 & Coding Region level? If not, the owner could have taken it private.

W. (Mr.)

Comment

Originally posted by Glass View Post

Cheryl
        If you remember the name of match

Run Advanced Matching and select All mtDNA

click on Blue HVR1 title to sort (want the arrow pointing down showing)

Names that are shown in list (not highlighted blue) will be kits that you match that have privatized their results [EDIT]and ones that you share the basic haplogroup assignment but are not exact matches.

You can do this for each level of matching (HVR1, HVR2 and FMS. You will be looking for ones that show a "0" in the HVR1 and HVR2 columns and ones that show a number between 0 and 3 in the FMS column. Ones with X only share your basic haplogroup mutations (are not an exact match) and ones with - mean they have not tested to that level.

If this name shows up in these non highlighted blue kit names, most likely they have privatized that level of matching. You can contact FTDNA to confirm if you see the name there, but if it is privatized that is all they may be able to tell you.
        Last edited by prairielad; 19 May 2015, 06:46 PM.

Comment

The other thing is that if this was a FMS match with a difference of 4, FTDNA changed the level of matching to only show up to 3 differences.

But this change happened over a year ago I do believe, so it depends on how long ago you seen this match.

Comment

Working...
          X