X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• FMS

Hello
    My mother strain R0a-60.1T
    There is a girl with me (FMS) Is it near or far?

HVR1, HVR2, Coding Region - 1 Match

Genetic Distance

Name

Most Distant Ancestor

mtDNA Haplogroup

Match Date

Ms.

email note FMS
    R0a-60.1T 7/9/2014

If the genetic distance is 3, the relationship is probably very ancient (thousands of years old).

Comment

Genetic Distance of 3? Without looking closely where the differences are and whether heteroplasmy is involved, it would be pure guess. But yes it is possible that quite far "very ancient (thousands of years old)", and yes it cannot be excluded that very near.

W. (Mr.)

Comment

A genetic distance of 3 probably has a common ancestor back in the "old country". I have one with a genetic distance of 1, and a few with 2. So far, I don't have any with 3. All of mine seem to be from colonial times. We're talking maternal line here.

Comment

Originally posted by PDHOTLEN View Post
          A genetic distance of 3 probably has a common ancestor back in the "old country". I have one with a genetic distance of 1, and a few with 2. So far, I don't have any with 3. All of mine seem to be from colonial times. We're talking maternal line here.
          I now have two FMS matches with GD of 1, along with the others with GD of 2.

Comment

If the genetic distance you are looking at is a 3, more than likely you are looking at someone who is so far distantly related to you that you will never be able to make the connection on a family tree.

Two of the 3 exact matches I have in the FMS test have also done the FF test. Though we have an exact or 0 step distance in FMS, we have NO match in the FF test. Genetically our mtDNA ancestress is just too far back for us to have any recent genealogical connection.

The other exact FMS match I have hasn't replied to my e-mail, but I was given information by my mtDNA haplogroup administrator, that I probably wouldn't be a close match in time to any match I had with my mtDNA. Something to do with mutations or lack there of?

When I use the advanced matching test system, and compare just my HRV1 and HRV2 matches with the FF test, the only match I have is my brother. He shows as a 0 step for the mtDNA results and as a full sibling on the FF test. No one else who has done the mtDNA test and the FF test even begins to match me on both tests.

Anyway, what it means, to me, is that by using mtDNA, I'm probably never going to find out any information about my Great grandmother. She was born in Texas in the 1850's, and is my biggest brick wall.
            Last edited by keigh; 2 March 2015, 02:17 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by keigh View Post
              If the genetic distance you are looking at is a 3, more than likely you are looking at someone who is so far distantly related to you that you will never be able to make the connection on a family tree.
              While that's true in most cases, you should really check to see which mutations were counted in the genetic distance. I posted a few months ago about a person who was GD of 3 from her mother and 4 from her sister. The problem is that heteroplasmies and fast changing sites are counted in the GD. We really need to get FTDNA to change the way they calculate the GD.

Comment

Originally posted by GST View Post
                While that's true in most cases, you should really check to see which mutations were counted in the genetic distance. I posted a few months ago about a person who was GD of 3 from her mother and 4 from her sister. The problem is that heteroplasmies and fast changing sites are counted in the GD. We really need to get FTDNA to change the way they calculate the GD.
                Yes, please change! Change for better

If there is an agreement which the fast changing SNPs are, then they should just be excluded. And the relevant information about exclusions should be included (some people do look at and compare the raw data).

Maybe have an Advanced GD button that would display the GD with and without heteroplasmies.

It would be nice to be able to order a (paid for) personalized report that would discuss the current state of science about the particular haplogroup and possibly interpret genealogy and ancestry implications. My feeling is that the research is moving too fast to have it done automatically by the software. Maybe such reports should also be done for a pair of matches, as I can see even more value in such a report...

W. (Mr.)

Comment

Working...
                X