Is over 2000 matches normal?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is over 2000 matches normal?

My dad has around 1200+ om HVR1 Ancestral Origins list and then a little less than that on his HVR1 and HVR2 list.

Is it normal to have so many exact matches?

His ancestors are from Portugal and Spain, even thought it shows ancestors of the matches coming from Germany and many other places. A lot of them have Sephardi and Askenazi on the comment section.

Who are these people?

Originally posted by RobertaMarques View Post
    My dad has around 1200+ om HVR1 Ancestral Origins list and then a little less than that on his HVR1 and HVR2 list.

His ancestors are from Portugal and Spain, even thought it shows ancestors of the matches coming from Germany and many other places. A lot of them have Sephardi and Askenazi on the comment section.

Who are these people?
    Yes it is normal. You might narrow it down by ordering a full mitochondrial sequence that includes the coding region if you have not done so already.

Mitochondrial DNA gives you a glimpse of an ancient maternal ancestor. It is less likely to be relevant within a genealogical time period. You could match people from all over Europe which means your maternal ancestors and female cousins with your subclade were likely quite prolific and traveled far. It can also mean a lot of people just happened to test who match you. Many people who are of Jewish heritage like to order tests from FTDNA. Some of these maternal haplogroups were picked up along the way and do not necessarily confirm Jewish ancestry in your family.

You would need to give us more information on the results in order to fully evaluate the likely migration pathways. From what you have told us, your results are not surprising at all.

Comment

Who are these people?
      Executive summary: statistically they are related to your father only when going back many thousands of years. And yes, it is normal.

I am looking at two sets of mtDNA results. One also from H haplogroup, and that person has more than 10000 exact matches at HVR1 level. The other is from another haplogroup, and has no (zero, 0, nil) exact matches at HVR1 level (and consequently at HVR1&HVR2 level has zero too).

Please tell me which part of my earlier answer to you I should clarify or expand on.

Comment

Mother side Halogroup A

On my mother side I have Halogroup "A" and there is nothing at all. Then, upload to mitosearch and there is one person, which I could not contact because the website kept saying something I filled out was wrong while it wasn't (hate when that happens), but now its good I didn't. It is 1000 years ago, no way we can have any chance of connecting dots.

Thank you for your replies !

Comment

It is 1000 years ago, no way we can have any chance of connecting dots.!
          Just because the common ancestor might have lived 1,000 years ago that doesn't rule out the possibility of a much more recent common ancestor.

Sibilings would have the same mtDNA and their common ancestor would be their mother.

Comment

Working...
          X