no Ancestral Origins?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• no Ancestral Origins?

Just got my mother's mtDNA full sequence results. As expected, it didn't add any new matches... she only had 1 to begin with.

What I didn't expect was to get nothing in Ancestral Origins. Here's what I get:
    HVR1 Matches: No matches were found.
    HVR1 and HVR2 Matches: No matches were found.
    HVR1, HVR2, and Coding Region Matches: No matches found.

I don't know what to think of this. Somehow, I wasn't expecting "matches" from Ancestral Origins. I guess I was expecting "origins" of some sort.

Do I need a reality check?
    k.

Ancestral Origins and Haplogroup Origins are summaries of the countries of origin reported by your matches. So if you have no matches, or no matches that provided a country (there's an Unknown category), then nothing will be listed here.

Your mom's kit contained a green release form, and one of the things that form asks for is maternal and paternal countries of origin. This information is what populates the Ancestral Origins and Haplogroup Origins pages.

Customers can also provide/edit these countries on the Most Distant Ancestors page under Settings -> Genealogy.

Elise

Comment

So far not worth it.......

"I don't know what to think of this. Somehow, I wasn't expecting "matches" from Ancestral Origins. I guess I was expecting "origins" of some sort."

Same way I feel, just got my maternal results and it seems as if it was a waste of time and money. I thought it was going to breakdown the ethnic background, as it did for myself, show percentages just the way it does on "my origins" page. I was expecting origins not matches in other countries that probably aren't even related to me in any way. btw, I paid for the complete package which was to reveal the supposed "bells and whistles". Hope the paternal results which I am still waiting for makes all of this time worth it.

Comment

Mtdnahas nothing useful

I agree with the last post. We had a Y 111 test that has 0 matches over 37 markers. And the MTDNA Full Sequence test done. Neither one has produced useful or meaningful information for us.

Comment

I have to admit that I was a bit disappointed with the MtDNA full sequence, and the Y-DNA 67 markers, but in a way, it was my fault in not understanding the possible limitations of the results and in my expectations as to the information that I might gain through the tests.

My FMS mtDNA gave me 3 exact matches but they aren't close enough to be genealogical relatives, just genetic. I didn't realize how far back my results would take me.

Comment

Originally posted by keigh View Post
            I have to admit that I was a bit disappointed with the MtDNA full sequence, and the Y-DNA 67 markers, but in a way, it was my fault in not understanding the possible limitations of the results and in my expectations as to the information that I might gain through the tests.

My FMS mtDNA gave me 3 exact matches but they aren't close enough to be genealogical relatives, just genetic. I didn't realize how far back my results would take me.
            I know how you feel, I read everything... thought I understood it, however the way it is presented is deceiving. I honestly was not concerned about finding matches and I was aware the matches can be many generations in the past. I was more interested in knowing the ancestral origins, which side etc. My whole purpose for taking my tests were about ancestral origins and having the most comprehensive and understandable results possible. Yes it is my fault too since I decided to go ahead with this. When I read negative results from other customers I thought they just had a gripe, but now I see many of us have the same opinion of this whole idea. However we don't have to be quiet about it.

Comment

Originally posted by Howtree View Post
              I agree with the last post. We had a Y 111 test that has 0 matches over 37 markers. And the MTDNA Full Sequence test done. Neither one has produced useful or meaningful information for us.
              There is a major difference, though.

The mitochondrial DNA ring has only about 16,000 locations (base pairs). A mutation occurs, on the average, only once every couple thousand years. Thus, even an exact match may be totally irrelevant for genealogical purposes, exact perhaps to disprove a relationship. As a volunteer administrator of a large project, I frankly find it difficult to recommend mtDNA sequencing except to satisfy curiosity.

In contrast, the Y chromosome has many millions of mutable locations--plenty of raw material for tracing one's patrilineage from "Adam" down to modern times. The real issue is, Which test(s) to recommend? Close matches at 111 markers are very significant genealogically, but also extremely rare unless you descend from one of the few ethnic groups that have undergone huge population growth in the past 500 years (colonial Americans, Ashkenazi Jews, etc.). Otherwise, 111 markers will simply give you a list of nearest neighbors who relationship to you pre-dates the adoption of surnames.

My general recommendation, then, is to order only Y-DNA37, then to save up your money to order the Big Y during a discount sale. The Big Y is essentially the last Y chromosome test you will ever need. Professional analysis of the raw results can extract an essentially complete mtDNA sequence as well as about 100 of FTDNA's standard 111 markers. More importantly, such professional analysis yields a list of reliable Y-SNPs that track your patrilineage rather precisely (roughly one such Y-SNP per 150 years of patrilineage). After that point, you "merely" have to persuade your near-matches (e.g., at 37 markers) to order the Big Y as well.

Comment

Originally posted by MPH View Post
                My whole purpose for taking my tests were about ancestral origins and having the most comprehensive and understandable results possible. Yes it is my fault too since I decided to go ahead with this. When I read negative results from other customers I thought they just had a gripe, but now I see many of us have the same opinion of this whole idea. However we don't have to be quiet about it.
                The mtDNA test can provide information on geographic origins, but it is only for the direct maternal line (the autosomal DNA/Family Finder test is more useful all of your ancestry).

Because of the highly variable mtDNA mutation rate, it is more useful for some people than others. If you have recent mutations in your maternal line it can be useful for genealogy. On the other hand, if you have had no mutations in your line in 10,000 years, it's not going to be very useful. Most people can use the mtDNA full sequence to identify a geographic/ethnic maternal ancestral group that dates to a within a few thousand years ago. For example, I'm part of a small cluster who shares a Germanic maternal ancestor about 2000 years ago. I don't think FTDNA provides a good explanation of how to interpret the results, and it does require effort to analyze the results and collect information on your close matches. If there is an active mtDNA haplogroup project, the volunteer project administator might be able to help explain the results.

It would also be helpful if FTDNA worked with the project admins to provide a more useful tutorial and examples of how to analyze the results.

Comment

Working...
                X