Mutation 16400T

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mutation 16400T

Hi, My mtDNA is U8a1a1, it has a Mutation (16400T) that I am having a hard time finding; I seen (on the Internet) that it's suppose to be in H2a2b1a1, H33b, K1a1c, & L2. So far, I have found it in mtDNA-Haplogroup H2a2b1a1, but also, when I look in the African Projects, it's NOT there. Can you-all help me
    THE HTB

Originally posted by htb View Post
    Hi, My mtDNA is U8a1a1, it has a Mutation (16400T) that I am having a hard time finding; I seen (on the Internet) that it's suppose to be in H2a2b1a1, H33b, K1a1c, & L2. So far, I have found it in mtDNA-Haplogroup H2a2b1a1, but also, when I look in the African Projects, it's NOT there. Can you-all help me
    THE HTB
    I am one of those H2a2b1a1 with the 16400T. It took a long time before the scientific community recognized that we had our own twig on the branch. Our subclade only came about after many genealogists ordered full mitochondrial sequences at FTDNA.

If you find more people with 16400T who are also U8a1a1, then you can claim U8a1a1c depending on if that has been taken. U8a1a1a and U8a1a1b already exist. You would need to wait for a scientific paper or get more than one Genbank submission. If you are the only family with this mutation, you may not be able to claim a branch on your tree because that would make it a private family mutation.

Does anyone on your match list have it? 16400T is uncommon so you are unlikely to find many people who have it. It arose independently in several different haplogroups as you have already figured out. Not too many genealogists have joined African mtDNA Projects so that is why you are not finding it there. I also see it in L1b1a12 when I search Phylotree.org. Since it is a recent SNP in U8 you will not be related to any of these other in other haplogroups because you are on a different branch of the phylogenetic tree. Consider it an entirely new twig and you are coming off a different branch.

Comment

Working...
    X