X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • keigh
    FTDNA Customer
    • Sep 2013

I'm an H10c1, and I've had 3 exact 0 step matches on the FMS but 2 of those don't match in the FF test. I was told that the Haplogroup I'm in is estimated to be about 5,000 years old.

Comment

• mattm
      FTDNA Customer
      • Mar 2014

Originally posted by southjerseygeni View Post
      I"ve been trying to find out more about the X haplogroup online. There isn't much on this haplogroup written. I find it's very interesting that it's not confined to a specific area, that it's located in small percentages in different places. It isn't in large percentages in North America. Since this is my haplogroup I feel like it's like an Alien Haplogroup that nobody knows much about or why it's dispersed the way it is. Is there any new research published about it? My husband always said, I was dropped here by Alien's!
      Please upload your mtDNA to GEDBANK. The more samples sent in for research the more it will help us all.

Comment

• LadyAlaise
        FTDNA Customer
        • Apr 2014

Hello all. I am in the works to updating my mtDNA test to full sequence; have done my HVR1 and HVR2 and my results are U3....most of my matches on FTDNA database are either U3 or U3a1c. I have done some searching but there doesn't seem to be a whole heck of a lot of information out there about U3 and it's subclade U3a1c, just some vague references.
        Any other U3's here?
        Anyone know more about U3 and U3a1c?

Comment

• Mudgeeclarke
          FTDNA Customer
          • May 2011

Originally posted by LadyAlaise View Post
          Hello all. I am in the works to updating my mtDNA test to full sequence; have done my HVR1 and HVR2 and my results are U3....most of my matches on FTDNA database are either U3 or U3a1c. I have done some searching but there doesn't seem to be a whole heck of a lot of information out there about U3 and it's subclade U3a1c, just some vague references.
          Any other U3's here?
          Anyone know more about U3 and U3a1c?

Have a look at http://www.eupedia.com/forum/threads...-haplogroup-U3 and http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Haplogr...#Haplogroup_U3 and http://www.forumbiodiversity.com/sho...ssociated-with and so on. Plenty to digest and see where U3 and the sub HGs sprang from. :-)

Comment

• DWFlineage
            FTDNA Customer
            • Feb 2014

V19

Originally posted by Rebekah Canada View Post
            Hi,

This forum if for talking about mtDNA Haplogroups in simple English. What do we know about each haplogroup? How do we know it?

--
            Regards,
            Rebekah Canada - Consultant
            Web Presence and Customer Engagement
            Family Tree DNA
            Greetings, I just got my FMS results, confirmed V19 haplogroup. I have two 2 step matches & four 3 step matches. I have communicated with 3 out of 6 of my matches, and so far each of my matches has either 32 or 33 mutations in their coding region, whereas I have 35. I have confirmed with one of my matches, which mutations I have that they do not have, so I know these 3 mutations occurred after our common maternal ancestor. I hope to be able to compare my mutations with my other 5 matches as well, and hopefully I have at least 2 mutations that none of these people have, and then maybe I can learn more about the mutations, geographical location, etc.

My tree has grown a great deal during the last 5 years of dna testing, so I hope to be able to make some connections between my FMS matches-ancestors and the ancestors I have in my tree. I have had help from a genealogist, so hopefully he can find links.

Best regards, Douglas W. Fisher, Kit #122883

Paternal: U106+Z18+Z14+Z372+
            Maternal: V19

Comment

• JThom
              FTDNA Customer
              • Mar 2013

I have done the Full Sequence MtDNA test and my results came back as C1b11 with Amerindian percentage of around 24-25%. This from Family Finder before they changed to My Origins and from Gedmatch. Does the percentage give any clues as to how many generations back your Native American ancestor might be? In other words, would the farther back one goes, would the percentage be less? My maternal grandmothers can be traced back to around 1725 in New Mexico and as far as I can tell, none are of Native American ancestry, although I am not totally sure about one born around 1850.

Comment

• Bohunk
                FTDNA Customer
                • Aug 2014

H4a1a1a... Iberian or Finnish or... ??

My grandfather's FMS recently came back as H4a1a1a and I can find *very* little information on the H4 haplogroup and even less regarding his specific branch. All I've been able to learn is that H4 is said to occur almost exclusively in Iberia, but that does not explain why most of his 2-step and 3-step matches are in FINLAND! I know the Finns do a lot of DNA testing because of their unique genetics, so I'm curious as to whether the high number of matches is a function of more people testing there?

The rest of his matches seem to lead to England, Scotland and (of course) the U.S. with only two outlying matches: one in France and one in a slavic country. He has no 1-step matches and no exact matches anywhere in the world. Several of his Finnish matches lead to people with maternal ancestry going back into the 1600's. His HVR2 mutations show up in Bell Beaker ancient DNA individuals who were tested as well as one ancient individual tested in the Pilsen region (whom he matches exactly for HVR2). I'm just wondering how his DNA matches would have such an odd distribution pattern?

Incidentally, when I trace down his American mtDNA matches they invariably lead back to South Carolina and Virginia, frequently having connections to French, Paletine and Scottish colonists and in particular those with connections to the Cherokee and Creek Indians. Oddly enough, most of the people he matches who claim Native American ancestors show up in autosomal DNA as having trace amounts of *Iberian DNA* rather and very few show trace amounts of NA DNA. The whole thing just leaves me scratching my head... especially all the Iberian-Finns. LOL!

Comment

• Bohunk
                  FTDNA Customer
                  • Aug 2014

Forgot to subscribe...

Making another post because I forgot to subscribe to this thread and can't figure out how to do it after-the-fact.

Comment

• Bohunk
                    FTDNA Customer
                    • Aug 2014

Oh the irony!

Originally posted by JThom View Post
                    My maternal grandmothers can be traced back to around 1725 in New Mexico and as far as I can tell, none are of Native American ancestry, although I am not totally sure about one born around 1850.
                    I'm curious about the answer you get @JThom! We've got the opposite problem... persistent rumors about NA ancestry with very little being reflected in DNA. Have you done autosomal testing as well as mtDNA and, if so, have you run it through the admixture tools on Gedmatch?

Comment

• aartemiss
                      FTDNA Customer
                      • Dec 2014

my haplogroup according to the geno project is T2f.. when i transferred my data to ftdna they have narrowed it down to T2f-T1953 which apparently originated in Hungary.. i too am interested in trading notes and finding out more.. the geno project relies on sharing stories but only a small percentage of participants choose to share.. among those who have shared, there is some finnish, jewish, gypsy, and unconfirmed native american, among other things.. my regional dna compares closely to british and german but slightly higher percentage of both mediterranian and southwest asian.. national geo reports that most europeans have similar admixture, but they drop the ball (in my opinion) by not stating any other theories as to more recent admixtures which may or may not account for it, nor do they give a historical rundown on the haplogroup but rely entirely on what we learn from each other from our stories (please do share stories, even if what you know is very little, it may be a missing puzzle piece for somebody else!) from what i understand, T is not typically considered a common native american haplogroup, but studies are underway to include it, especially in relation to Cherokee, because there are many with family history of cherokee, some even on the roles, which have a T haplogroup.. there seems to be a very real connection between cherokee and jews and/or gypsies, one theory being that cherokees actually originated in egypt unlike other na tribes which are said to have originated in siberia, a second theory is that cherokee is no longer as traceable by blood as other NA because their admixture began earlier in history and they've done a wonderful job of preserving the culture though the blood-line is becoming obsolete, but that much of the early admixture was with jewish, roma, and/or turkish or indian, which would account for our regional dna having a few more percentage points in both mediterranian and sw asian than the average european.. i am descendent of predominantly scots-irish settlers (whose recent migration was PA or VA to NC to TN where they stayed for quite awhile before dispersing).. i have a couple germans as well, but unknown whether aryan or jewish or roma.. i suspect one of both of the latter two, because for the longest time i suspected there may be melungeons in my tree, due to them sharing many surnames with known melungeon families and having close neighbors and occasionally even housemates who were classified as free colored, though they themselves were always counted as white.. they seem to have lived in multi-cultural communities while others of their time were more strictly segregated.. so though my regional dna is similar to british and/or german, i don't discount that there were connections to native culture whether there's a blood link or not.. also my total regional only adds up to 99%, so that extra 1% may or may not be NA.. it's not entirely verifiable by mtdna because the cherokee was on my maternal grandmother's paternal side, but i am not the first with family stories of cherokee to end up in T2f.. sorry to be so long-winded, but only got my results a few days ago so still trying to sort it all out and hoping to make connections

Comment

• aartemiss
                        FTDNA Customer
                        • Dec 2014

ps.. there may also be a history of haugonaut because one of my german ancestors married a french lady and lived on the border (prussia) and seemed to embrace a dual-culture (for example, family names had a mix of german and french names) which may or may not indicate a connection to the protestant church of france who historically experienced religious persecution..
                        Last edited by aartemiss; 19 December 2014, 04:16 PM. Reason: adding a p.s.

Comment

• Bohunk
                          FTDNA Customer
                          • Aug 2014

It's complicated

Originally posted by JThom View Post
                          I have done the Full Sequence MtDNA test and my results came back as C1b11 with Amerindian percentage of around 24-25%. This from Family Finder before they changed to My Origins and from Gedmatch. Does the percentage give any clues as to how many generations back your Native American ancestor might be? In other words, would the farther back one goes, would the percentage be less? My maternal grandmothers can be traced back to around 1725 in New Mexico and as far as I can tell, none are of Native American ancestry, although I am not totally sure about one born around 1850.
                          This is a tough one to pin down. You often won't find Native American ancestors on census records etc. because they weren't supposed to be taxed or enumerated prior to the Trail of Tears. They had been recognized as independent nations by the various governments off and on so they were except from taxation for the most part.

Also, many of them had mixed with early settlers of various racial backgrounds: European (both northern and Spanish/Portuguese etc.), African and everything in between. One of my grandpa's mtDNA matches is listed along with her entire family as Mulatto on 1 census record, all of them are "white" on a couple other census records, and some of her children are later listed as black. Various family members are found on other records later in the 1900's as "Native American" and one of her sons is buried in the Native American cemetery near the town where he was born.

It is very common to find Native American ancestors listed as Mullato or white because they weren't technically "black" unless they had inter-married. Colonial law in Virginia and the Carolinas was especially effective at white-washing the racial designation of all indigenous people who intermarried with other races:

If a white person married a black or NA person, their offspring were classified as "mulatto." If a "mulatto" person married a white person, they're children were designated as "white" even though they had 25% Native American ancestry. Bottom line is that you can't rely on census records to accurately depict someone's ethnicity. Nor does autosomal DNA extend back far enough to capture the markers of ancestors beyond the 6th - 8th generation.

Short version: it's complicated!

Comment

• aartemiss
                            FTDNA Customer
                            • Dec 2014

bohunk, i have had a similar experience with census designations vs. family history.. on paper they were "white", but the verbal history passed down is that they were "strongly encouraged" to assimulate, to pass as white, marry white, have white children or face removal by military force.. admixture was a survival strategy for hiding in plain sight.. not that there weren't actual love matches between natives and europeans, certainly there were, but it was also a way of preserving their lives if not their blood-line, and parents who want what's best for their children were well aware that there were far more freedoms and privilages to be had by claiming the euro and denying the red.. what i've read is that the rule of thumb for census takers was to consider lifestyle as much as skin color when making their assignment, and if a mixed marriage were living with white neighbors and embracing the euro culture, the native spouse as well as their children could be counted as white, but if they were living on a res or otherwise practicing native traditions in their lifestyle, the white spouse and mixed children could be counted as amerindian regardless of whether they qualified by blood quantum or via marriage and/or adoption of the culture..

i guess my main point is we should not dismiss family history as misinformation just because our dna may not reflect it, because there is more to it than the blood-line or skin color, and if my forefathers/mothers claim the cherokee culture as their own, i will never dispute that nor use my dna test results as a means to "prove or disprove" their claims.. it was interesting to discover how much if any NA blood i inherited, but i continue to embrace the culture even though no amerindian nor siberian was passed along to me..

i think it is important to remember too that we don't inherit everything.. just as we only get one hair color and one eye color, we only get some but not all of what is in our ancestor's gene pool.. my sister can't be tested because she has passed, but i suspect the regional distributions we inheritted would have differed, because where i took after the europeans, she inheritted black hair, dark skin, high cheekbones, and neither of us was adopted.. so just because someone doesn't inherit a certain profile doesn't mean it isn't in their history..

i am intrigued by the stories in my hapgroup which claim family stories of amerindian unconfirmed by dna.. it seems there is either truth to the claims but too far back to be traceable, or they were a people who lived closely with amerindians and often intermarried as many seem to be related by marriage if not by blood, or perhaps were adopted members, because i don't think so many claims should be dismissed just because they chose to "go along to get along" by agreeing to "pass as white" until it's no longer in the blood but still our cultural legacy..

it's kind of sad, because if there is a family history of someone being jewish (for example), they are not expected to have a certain quantum of israeli blood in order to be believed, they simply are what they are due to their customs and traditions as much or more as their blood-line, and i choose to believe and respect my family stories whether they're ever fully "proven" or not..

Comment

• Wulf Talented
                              FTDNA Customer
                              • Jan 2014

My MTDNA is W1g. Which although a scarce lineage and interesting, the lack information is saddening. My Maternal line goes back to Shropshire, England as far as the 1700's. I haven't gone further back yet.

I'd love to know more about W1g in the British Isles.

Comment

• jedikatie
                                FTDNA Customer
                                • Oct 2014

I just got my results back today, and I'm apparently haplogroup I4a. Is anyone else in that haplogroup?

My most distant maternal ancestor is my 3rd great-grandmother, Anna (Wallace) McDonagh (ca 1842-1905), from Clifden, Co. Galway, Ireland. I was pretty pleased to see that there were 3 exact matches to me (my dad, whose results we got ten days ago, didn't have any exact matches for his mtDNA results). More so because one of the people I match to has an ancestor from Co. Galway, Ireland, though her ancestor is younger than mine. But her ancestor's last name (Joyce) is one that has popped up a number of times in mine and my mom's Family Finder & Ancestry DNA results.

Comment

Working...
                                X