Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Problems understanding my results

Hi,
    I did the maternal lineages test, but I still have problems how to interpret the results.

I want to find out more about my maternal side of the family, especially about the Jewish ancestry.

Can anyone help me understand my results?

We can try, if you let us know a bit more.

First: mtdna is not about the whole maternal side, only about the line of your mother's mother's ... mother's mother - and it can follow that line all the way back to the stone age, all the way to the first humans in Africa.

Have you done mtdna-Full test or only mtdna-Plus?

Which haplogroup?
    Some people know more about specific haplogroup, and some mtdna-branches have their own projects, and you can join the project that is best for you.

You have probably heard that some mtdna lines are very common in Jewish population, and almost absent in other populations.
    • If you belong to one of those lines, you are probably a descendant of the original Jewish population a few thousands years ago.
    • If your line is something from a very different part of the world, a woman in that line must have joined Jewish community later. (I am assuming that your mother's side is Jewish, belonging to the community.)
    • Some lines exist in both Jewish and non-Jewish populations.
    With more info, other members of the forum will probably join this conversation, too.

Comment

Chayim, Roberta Estes has recently written a 4 part series of blog posts about mtDNA testing and how to use the results. They may help you. See:As Emona mentioned, posting your haplogroup may help others to provide more information.

There are a number of pages in the FTDNA Learning Center on topics about Jewish ancestry.

Your Jewish ancestry may be on your maternal side, but may possibly not go back through your direct maternal line, as Emona described. Perhaps your mother's father was Jewish, but not her mother, or some other break in the direct maternal path. In that case, you may want to do an autosomal test, if you haven't already. "Family Finder" is the autosomal test at Family Tree DNA. If someone on your maternal side (your mother, grandmother, aunts, uncles, cousins) also does the Family Finder test, and you put up a tree in your account, you can link that person to their place in your tree. Your match list will then be sorted into maternal matches. See the pages for the Family Tree Matching System and the Family Tree Matching Tool in the Learning Center.

Comment

Working...
      X