Can you top my 60 mtDNA matches?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Here are some of our match numbers as of today:

T2b4b (note - similar totals to those of the T2b4b mlcarson posted above) total=129
    14 @ GD0
    55 @ GD1
    25 @ GD2
    35 @ GD3

L3d1b2 total=15
    3 @ GD0
    3 @ GD1
    6 @ GD2
    3 @ GD3

T2b no subclade total=5
    1 @ GD0
    4 @ GD1

D1 - 1 @ GD2
    L2a1a1 - none at any level
    A2 - none at any level
    B2b (subclade designation varies) - none at any level
    Last edited by abuelita; 18th January 2019, 04:02 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by qzsue View Post
      This post caught my eye because I'm really confused about my dad's mtdna matches. I've called FTDNA twice telling them something seems wrong. My dad shows 8366 matches. He's Halogroup K. I'm not sure how to find the GD 0, 1, 2, and 3 numbers.
      The GD (Genetic Distance) numbers show how many differences were found between your mtDNA and your match's. When you log in and go to your "mtDNA - Matches" page, if you click on the words at the top of the left column, "Genetic Distance," it will change the order so that the least number will be at the top (may be 0, may be 1 or more, depending on your matches).

It's not uncommon for me to get an email saying he has 8 or 9 new matches and this happens frequently..
      If you've had your father tested for the mtFullSequence test, it's possible that you are getting emails for all of his mtDNA matches, which includes the lower level HVR1 and HVR2 regions, and not just the matches at the Full Sequence level, called "HVR1, HVR2, Coding Regions." If he's only done the mtDNAPlus test, then it sounds like he's got a lot of matches at those lower levels, in HVR1 and HVR2. Since the common maternal line ancestor for mtDNA matches can go back hundreds or thousands of years, many people with mtFullSequence results concentrate on those matches, and not the lower levels. This is because if a match does not continue to match at the higher level (or hasn't tested to that level), then it's unlikely you can find the common ancestor. See the table at https://www.familytreedna.com/learn/dna-basics/mtdna/ .

You can change how many messages you get from FTDNA for mtDNA matches by going into your father's account settings (either click on the orange link "Manage Personal Information" in the left column of the home page, under "Your Account" and "Profile," or you can also get to the same page by hovering over your father's name in the top right, and select "Account Settings." Once there, choose "Notification Preferences," and under "mtDNA," you can turn off notifications for HVR1 or HVR1/HVR2. Matches at the "HVR1, HVR2, Coding Regions" level can't be turned off, so you will receive those even if you turned off notifications for the lower level matches.

I've only had one mtdna match in about five years. I'm Haplogroup W.

Both times I called FTDNA, they said it's not unusual for him to have over 8000 matches. They said the reason I've only had one is that I have a very uncommon Haplogroup.
      That sounds like a good explanation to me. I've done the mtFullSequence test, and I am in mtDNA haplogroup K1a3. Currently I have 22 matches at the "HVR1, HVR2, Coding Regions" level. I don't check my HVR1 or HVR1/HVR2 match lists, and have notifications for those matches turned off.

When I received my mtdna match, I was able to connect to my family tree right away. I've looked at dozens of family trees on my dad's matches and not seeing anything close.

Thoughts? If I'm totally confused, please don't hesitate to correct me. I want to learn.
      In a way, having a rare haplogroup may be helpful, as you've found. When you get a match, it may be more likely to be easy to find the connection (not always). mtDNA matches are not like autosomal DNA matches (Family Finder), where you are "fishing" for matches, to see which cousins or other relatives turn up. Although you may get lucky and be able to find how an mtDNA match is related to you, a better use for mtDNA testing is to solve a genealogy problem, such as shown in this video, "DNA Stories: A Tale of Two Sisters featuring Bill Hurst" (William Hurst is administrator of the "K" mtDNA project).

Roberta Estes also has good information on her blog, about mtDNA. Recently she wrote a post about "Mitochondrial DNA Bulldozes Brick Wall," and "Mitochondrial DNA - Your Mom's Story" gives a good overview of mtDNA match pages at FTDNA.

FTDNA's Learning Center has a page to explain the "mtDNA - Matches" page, as well as their "Maternal Lineage Tests" page to explain mtDNA testing.

Comment

KATM, thank you! That is great information for those of us who have done mtDNA testing, and anyone considering it for the future..

Comment

Biblioteque, yes, we have both had mtDNA done at FTDNA but I don't think it's full sequence.
          Last edited by qzsue; 19th January 2019, 01:03 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by qzsue View Post
            Biblioteque, yes, we have both had mtDNA done at FTDNA but I don't think it's full sequence.
            If you want to upgrade to Full Sequence, keep an eye out for sale prices. FTDNA has sales several times a year, and has had mtDNA tests on sale, usually around Mother's Day in May. They may also have a couple of sales between now and then.

Comment

Thanks, KATM! When I called FTDNA, I asked about upgrading and they said they didn't think it would make a difference which made no sense to me. I think I will upgrade dad's though, since we have a major brick wall there.

Comment

MtDNA FMS Matches on two of the Kits I manage:
                Kit with the fewest FMS Matches -- H1bw -- 17 total -- none at GD0; 8 at GD1; 2 at GD2; 7 at GD3
                Kit with the Most FMS Matches -- K1a1b1a - 1306 total -- 376 at GD0 -- (have not bothered to count the rest)

Comment

loobster: Guess Fern will have to pass "bragging rights" to you. 1306 total is awesome!

Have you found any tree matches with those who have also taken FF, and found an mtDNA ancestral grandmother, from your 376 matches at GDO?
                  Last edited by Biblioteque; 25th January 2019, 10:49 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Biblioteque View Post
                    loobster:
                    Have you found any tree matches with those who have also taken FF, and found an mtDNA ancestral grandmother, from your 376 matches at GDO?
                    Nope, so far have found MtDNA totally useless as far as genealogy goes.
                    Every now and then, check in Advanced Matching to see if anyone now has a close match on FF as well as MtDNA, basically ignore.

Comment

Originally posted by Biblioteque View Post
                      loobster: Guess Fern will have to pass "bragging rights" to you. 1306 total is awesome!
                      Yay!! I'm pleased to be overtaken Congratulations, loobster

Comment

i currently have the round number of 500 full sequence matches for haplogroup H1a.
                        1 @GD0
                        0 @GD1
                        255 @GD2
                        the rest @GD3

i have a paper trail back 9 generations for the mtDNA line but so far no luck filling the gaps to make sense of how i have a common ancestor with all those many, many people up in finland and sweden in my matches.
                        Last edited by Kohlehydrat; 27th March 2019, 12:09 PM.

Comment

Working...
                        X