• Show
Clear All

• Can you top my 60 mtDNA matches?

Just curious how many mtDNA matches others are getting. I have:

26 - 0 step
    21 - 1 step
    9 - 2 step
    4 - 3 step

I got an email this morning saying FTDNA has the Full Sequence for $139 untill the end of the year. That should bring more matches in for us.

Nope, I can't top that! I have a whopping total of 19 full sequence matches.
    • None are at a genetic distance (GD) of 0 steps
    • One is at 1 step
    • Six are 2 step
    • The remaining twelve are at 3 steps.
    For the match at a distance of 1, that would seem to be the only person on my Haplogroup Origins list at GD of 1, which also happens to be the only one that shows Malta for country in that list. Malta is my earliest known matrilineal ancestor's location.

Unfortunately, although I contacted that match, I have never received a reply. He has no information whatsoever in his profile, and no information for his earliest known matrilineal ancestor, either. A couple of the matches at 3 steps show ancestral names and locations from Italy, or Sicily, which is not far from Malta, and there was known migration to Malta from Sicily. None of those 3 step matches with Italian/Sicily locations, who took the Family Finder test, show up in my Family Finder match list. So, I suppose I could be related to those 3 step matches in the distant past. I need to work harder (to be read as: spend more money) to find the name of the mother of my current earliest known matrilineal ancestor (b. ca. 1822), and with any luck her birthplace in Malta. So far, no luck.

I hope you're right about getting more mtDNA matches!

Comment

The kits I monitor have quite a range of matches. I belong to one of the J subclades and have 284 full sequence matches, 110 of them are at a distance of 0 steps. My father is in one of the I subclades and he has a total of 36 matches, 15 of them at 0 steps. I have another relative who is in a different I subclade and she recently got her first full sequence match. It was at 3 steps.

Comment

similligan, I cannot imagine that anyone could top your numbers. Amazing! Thank you for sharing. And I forgot to mention I am U3a1b.
        Last edited by Biblioteque; 29th November 2018, 12:42 PM.

Comment

Okay, not in similligan's league, but I do either manage or have access to two other accounts with mtDNA FMS results, and am posting their match numbers for the heck of it.

For my father's H13a1a1a mtDNA full sequence matches; his earliest known matrilineal ancestress was born in an unspecified area of "Germany," but which seems likely to have been Silesia in Prussia of the 1850s. He currently has a total of 150 full sequence matches:
          4 @ 0 step
          27 @ 1 step
          44 @ 2 steps
          75 @ 3 steps

The other is H5K, I believe known as an Irish subclade; the earliest known matrilineal ancestress born ca. 1840s in an unspecified part of "Ireland," possibly Northern Ireland.
          Currently there is a total of 79 full sequence matches for this account:
          25 @ 0 step
          26 @ 1 step
          22 @ 2 steps
          6 @ 3 steps

The Maltese ancestress I posted about above has mtDNA haplogroup of K1a3, as shown under my forum icon.

Comment

I'm embarrassed to admit I have a total of 374 matches, with 143 of them being at 0 GD. Like similligan, I'm in one of the J haplogroups.

The total is from my Matches list, set to "HVR1, HVR2, Coding Regions". Is that what we're comparing? The Matches Maps tool, which is what I usually look at, tells me I have only 86 Full Sequence matches .... But I guess that means only 86 of my full sequence matches have entered an earliest known ancestor.
            Last edited by Fern; 29th November 2018, 03:14 PM. Reason: additional info

Comment

Fern, on the "Welcome to my FTDNA" page, under the mtDNA category, I believe we are pulling our numbers from the category, "Matches", and not the "Matches Maps" category for our comparisons. So, yes, I think we are all on the same page.

And, so, it looks like I am at the bottom of the heap with no "bragging rights". LOL

We can meet here next year, same time, same place, to compare our progression.
              Last edited by Biblioteque; 29th November 2018, 04:37 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Biblioteque View Post
                We can meet here next year, same time, same place, to compare our progression.
                Thank you, Biblioteque, for starting the thread! I look forward to being overtaken ...

Comment

51 matches in total on FMS for t1a1.

7 are at GD0, one of which is my mother. (I tested first)

Comment

I have 178 matches. FMS - mtDNA V

2 @ GD 0
                    3 @ GD 1
                    1 @ GD 2
                    Rest @ GD 3

Comment

My mother, H2a1, has 279 matches.

21 @ GD 0
                      68 @ GD 1
                      108 @ GD 2
                      82 @ GD 3

Comment

My FMS (group K)

26 @ GD 0
                        9 @ GD 1
                        12 @ GD 2
                        8 @ GD 3

My spouse's FMS (group N)

1 @ GD 0
                        4 @ GD 1
                        4 @ GD 3

Really interesting to see the variation! Thanks for sharing everyone.

Comment

Working...
                        X