MTDNA- Dumb Question I have to ask

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MTDNA- Dumb Question I have to ask

I know that MtDNA tests results for your direct maternal line. I also know that men cannot pass their maternal DNA on. My father and I have both taken MtDNA tests, and the results showed Ashkenazi percentages that were unsurprising... if the those results showed both maternal and paternal DNA. So the dumb question I have to ask before both of our brains explode over Jewish ancestry on our respective maternal lines that neither one of us have documentation of: do MtDNA test results include ANY paternal DNA at all?

I know that MtDNA tests results for your direct maternal line.
    True.

I also know that men cannot pass their maternal DNA on.
    The mitochondria of the egg cell is used when the egg cell and sperm cell merge.
    A child gets half of it's nuclear DNA from each parent. So your sentence is only true, if you mean mitochondrial DNA.

showed Ashkenazi percentages
    Do you mean the "mtDNA - Ancestral Origins"-feature? If so, it is useless in determining ancestry.
    If you mean the "FamilyFinder - myOrigins"-feature then you are looking at nuclear DNA - not mitochondrial DNA.

do MtDNA test results include ANY paternal DNA at all
    No.
    Last edited by JesperS; 17th February 2018, 10:50 PM.

Comment

If you mean the "FamilyFinder - myOrigins"-feature then you are looking at nuclear DNA - not mitochondrial DNA.

Yes, apologies, I should have clarified that. This makes sense. Thank you!

Comment

Working...
      X