Jewish ancestry

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jewish ancestry

If somebody takes the mtdna full sequence test, and discovers that they match with some jewish people, like ashkenazim and sephardim, does that mean that they have a jewish maternal ancestor?

very good question, I also have significant numbers of matches; my haplogroup is H6a1a1, thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by Violen453 View Post
      If somebody takes the mtdna full sequence test, and discovers that they match with some jewish people, like ashkenazim and sephardim, does that mean that they have a jewish maternal ancestor?
      What%

Comment

Not necessarily. Are any of them exact matches in the full coding region screen?

Comment

Originally posted by KirillS View Post
          very good question, I also have significant numbers of matches; my haplogroup is H6a1a1, thanks!
          But Kirill, according to your comment in the H and HV mtDNA haplogroup project, your Ashkenazi Jewish matches only appear in your very distant HVR1 screen and not in the closer HVR2 and FMS screens. That is not consistent with Jewish ancestry. Also know that some Ashkenazi mtDNA lineages including many of those starting with H stemmed from a non-Jew who converted to Judaism, rather than the other way around.

Comment

Hi Khazaria, thank you.

I have 6 matches in HVR2, 3 of them are of the same ancestor, I have contacted one of those, and Jewish ancestry has been confirmed (one of the parent with both parents of whom are being Jewish)

Comment

Originally posted by KirillS View Post
              Hi Khazaria, thank you.

I have 6 matches in HVR2, 3 of them are of the same ancestor, I have contacted one of those, and Jewish ancestry has been confirmed (one of the parent with both parents of whom are being Jewish)
              nt

I meant what % of Full Sequence testing. Without any such matches I would be hesitant to draw conclusions

Comment

Hi. Thank you all for the responses. The truth is that I meant hypothetically, if someone found jewish ancestry. Would the full sequence test tell you how much you math withva particular jewish person?

Comment

when did a religion thought have effect with human dna.

Comment

Originally posted by brownbagg View Post
                    when did a religion thought have effect with human dna.
                    People forget that as the result of conversions going both ways:
                    • a Jewish person can share DNA with a non-Jewish person, while having no non-Jewish ancestors
                    • a non-Jewish person can share DNA with a Jewish person, while having no Jewish ancestors

Mr. W

Comment

So if a non jew who matches with with a jewish person or multiple jewisb people, then it could be that they have an ancestor who converted? I am so sorry i am completely new to this

Comment

So if a non jew who matches with with a jewish person or multiple jewisb people, then it could be that they have an ancestor who converted? I am so sorry i am completely new to this
                        If a sibling (or siblings) of an ancestor of a non-Jewish person converted to Judaism, then this non-Jewish person would be matching Jews while having no Jewish ancestry.

Analysis of such cases is very hard, since the converts were often disowned by their families. Not only they were getting no inheritance, but also nobody was supposed to mention their name anymore etc. Upon a conversion, both the first name and the family name were usually changed, so such a person (the convert) might appear in paper genealogy as a child who died in their infancy, but a death record is missing.

Mr. W

P.S.
                        The above process, but in a mirror, would also describe issues Jews are facing when matching non-Jewish people, after someone who was not their ancestor converted to Christianity.

Comment

So if a non jew who matches with with a jewish person or multiple jewisb people, then it could be that they have an ancestor who converted?
                          If you match with Ivanka Trump (I doubt she has done a FTDNA), you have a match with jewish people. But neither Donald or Ivanka ar jewish. There you see how difficult it can be to assume to much from your matches and there ancestor.

Comment

Originally posted by JMAisHere View Post
                            If you match with Ivanka Trump (I doubt she has done a FTDNA), you have a match with jewish people. But neither Donald or Ivanka ar jewish. There you see how difficult it can be to assume to much from your matches and there ancestor.

Choose a better example. Ivanka's children have Jewish dna. Members of Jared's family have been dna tested. I have a genealogical connection to Jared Kushner---we are related by marriage. It is even possible that Ivanka has Jewish ancestors in central Europe.
                            Last edited by josh w.; 17th November 2017, 11:56 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by josh w. View Post

Choose a better example. Ivanka's children have Jewish dna. Members of Jared's family have been dna tested. I have a genealogical connection to Jared Kushner---we are related by marriage. It is even possible that Ivanka has Jewish ancestors in central Europe.
                              It is even possible that Donald Trump had Jewish ancestors in Germany. In addition, Ivanka's brother married a Jewish woman and Donald's brother joined a Jewish fraternity.z

Ivana Trump's father had a surname often found among Ashkenazis ( Zelnick--Czech version)
                              Last edited by josh w.; 17th November 2017, 01:14 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X