Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

MtFull Sequence has a limit of 1000 matches?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • MtFull Sequence has a limit of 1000 matches?

    Good afternoon,
    Last year I took the mtFull Sequence test, J1c2c1, got 50 Matches HVR1, HVR2, CODING REGIONS, 60 Matches HVR1, HVR2 - 90 MATCHES and 1000 Matches HVR1, for the last period I got HVR1, HVR2, CODING REGIONS - 92 MATCHES, HVR1, HVR2 - 90 MATCHES, and HVR1 as there were 1000 Matches, so it remains, please tell us maybe there is a limit of 1000 Matches
    Anton

  • #2
    I just checked my HVR1 results (Entire Data Base/filter) and that gives me exactly 1,000 matches as well. My projects such as the H10 Genome are far fewer for that level. I have two HVR1 matches there. I wonder if the 1,000 number was chosen to keep us from being overwhelmed with HVR1 matches that really aren't of much value.

    Comment


    • #3
      I do not know if this is a BUG OR DELIBERATE -- but if you want to see the full list, not truncated, apparently that is still possible if one uses Advanced Matching. I am almost scared to mention it for fear they will limit that as well.

      You can just click one test when using Advanced Matching, and choose "Yes" to "Show only people I match in all selected tests" - and for several of the Kits I manage with MtDNA results it shows more than 1000 there, but only 1000 for those in regular "Matches" for MtDNA!!

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by loobster View Post
        I do not know if this is a BUG OR DELIBERATE -- but if you want to see the full list, not truncated, apparently that is still possible if one uses Advanced Matching. I am almost scared to mention it for fear they will limit that as well.

        You can just click one test when using Advanced Matching, and choose "Yes" to "Show only people I match in all selected tests" - and for several of the Kits I manage with MtDNA results it shows more than 1000 there, but only 1000 for those in regular "Matches" for MtDNA!!
        Interesting! I normally have my settings set to NOT display my HRV1 or HRV2 matches, and when I first tried your tip to use Advanced Matching to see if there were more than 1,000, it showed no results. After I went into my Account Settings and allowed those matches, then Advanced Matching did show 4 pages of results, with 500 matches per page. When checking HRV1 matches in my mtDNA match list (not Advanced Matching), it was indeed limited to 1,000.

        Comment


        • #5
          As keigh said, HVR1 matches are not of much value. And, I say, HVR2 matches are not of much value either. They are too far back in time, perhaps thousand of years. Even the full sequence mtDNA has limited use, although it can potentially rule in, or rule out, Native American ancestry on your matra side.

          What are you trying to accomplish? Try the FF Family Finder autosomal test if you would like to find cousins from each your matra and patra sides in a closer time frame. I have found an aunt, 1C1R, many 2nd cousins, and many dozens of 3rd cousins, etc. Now that is a gold mine.

          Good luck!

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by marietta View Post
            As keigh said, HVR1 matches are not of much value. And, I say, HVR2 matches are not of much value either. They are too far back in time, perhaps thousand of years. Even the full sequence mtDNA has limited use, although it can potentially rule in, or rule out, Native American ancestry on your matra side.

            What are you trying to accomplish? Try the FF Family Finder autosomal test if you would like to find cousins from each your matra and patra sides in a closer time frame. I have found an aunt, 1C1R, many 2nd cousins, and many dozens of 3rd cousins, etc. Now that is a gold mine.

            Good luck!
            HRV1 is the most important, for me the most interesting is what's next, but what I knew or almost know about 200 years ago, FF Family Finder gives me a little, just 330 Matching, my mom is slightly more than 440 Matching, but that's not enough And this is only 5 generations.

            Comment


            • #7
              For whatever it is worth, one of our most respected bloggers last week said she had triangulated back 10 generations with autosomal dna.

              I will private message you.

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by marietta View Post
                For whatever it is worth, one of our most respected bloggers last week said she had triangulated back 10 generations with autosomal dna.

                I will private message you.
                I am curious about that one too. For the record, I think she could be on to something, but I would like to see what she came up with.

                Jack Wyatt

                Comment


                • #9
                  The Advanced Matching tool is able to search through all of the HVR1 matches there is no plans to change this.

                  -Darren

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by Darren View Post
                    The Advanced Matching tool is able to search through all of the HVR1 matches there is no plans to change this.

                    -Darren
                    Darren -
                    I am glad to hear that -- but --
                    --Was NOT including all the Matches on the "Matches" a purposeful choice?
                    And if so --
                    a) why did they make decide to do that?
                    b) when did it start?
                    c) why didn't they announce it?
                    d) why is there no mention of it on the "Matches" page?
                    (PS - it is not just HVR1 that is affected)

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      The 1,000 limit for the main matches page, I want to say has been around at least ten years. Why the decision was made initially I don't know. It may have been that the system had to actively calculate every match when you went to the page every time. I can see if some text can be added to clarify this.

                      -Darren
                      Family Tree DNA

                      Comment

                      Working...
                      X