how many of you have little or no mtdna matches

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• how many of you have little or no mtdna matches

I recently got the results for my grandpa's uncle, which is haplogroup b2(jameslitwick's tool further refines it to b2r), and so far only one one match in hrv1 level showed up and they were b4'5 instead. I thought b2 was common, so why does my great grand uncle only have one mtdna match

Originally posted by crossover View Post
    I recently got the results for my grandpa's uncle, which is haplogroup b2(jameslitwick's tool further refines it to b2r), and so far only one one match in hrv1 level showed up and they were b4'5 instead. I thought b2 was common, so why does my great grand uncle only have one mtdna match
    Even if you have an exact MtDNA match, it could be many eons ago. I am in this situation. My exact match is in Denmark, but our family trees do not converge even at the 300 year point.

I personally do not see much value in the MtDNA test for genealogical purposes.

Comment

How about...

0 matches at any level.

Comment

I have to update...

today's post After months of 0 matches, suddenly tonight I have 13. Have to look into them.

Comment

My Paternal Aunt has no matches at the FMS level, and only 2 matches at the HVR2 level, one being my father (he is only tested HVR1 & HVR2).

Their mother born in Eastern Europe, present day Romania near the Ukraine border.

Comment

I have several exact or 0 step matches after doing a FMS for the mtDNA test. Everyone, but 1, of these matches have also done the FF test, which we don't match on. The one exact match that didn't take the FF test has been in contact with me and we can not come up with a likely maternal link, due to wrong names and locations for matching. But I was told to sort of expect this by my haplogroup administrator.

At the lower levels of the mtDNA test I have a number of matches but as they have done the FMS test, they've disappeared. It can be an exact step match at HRV1 and mean nothing when it comes to your actual mtDNA at a deeper test.

Sort of the same thing with the Y-DNA test. My brother has a page of exact or 0 step matches at 12 markers that totally disappear at 67 markers.
            Last edited by keigh; 24th March 2017, 09:59 AM.

Comment

Having done FMS, my mtDna results are as follows:

O step - 17 matches. 10 of these have done FF, but no atDna match.

1 step - 13 matches
              2 step - 6 matches
              3 step - 1 match

I did FMS testing 6 years ago, and I get a few new matches each year.

I am U3a1b.
              Last edited by Biblioteque; 24th March 2017, 02:42 PM.

Comment

mtDNA and Y-DNA can be very useful when it comes to confirming possible maternal or paternal line matches. If you can get someone you think might be a match to you along those lines, then doing the full tests can be very helpful.

However, when it comes to just taking the test simply on the hope of discovering a way to get over or through a brick wall, the tests just aren't that valuable for current genealogy. This is especially true with the mtDNA since maternal lines depending on the culture, may change with each generation. The Y-DNA can be more surname linked.

Comment

I also have zero mtdna matches! Mtdna J1c and zero matches...and the test was taken about a year ago!

Comment

Originally posted by Dora View Post
                    I also have zero mtdna matches! Mtdna J1c and zero matches...and the test was taken about a year ago!
                    J1c is a fairly common haplogroup with many subclades. I suspect that you have no matches because you've only done the basic mtDNA test involving the HVR1 or HVR1/HVR2 regions.

In order for someone to appear as a match at that level of testing, it has to be an exact match. If you have one uncommon mutation and have only taken the basic test, then there's a good chance that you won't see any matches, since no one matches your uncommon mutation.

Matches at the full sequence level of mtDNA testing, which includes the coding region, don't have to be exact. Anyone who's taken the full sequence mtDNA test will be shown matches who differ with them on three or less locations.

Comment

Thank you MMaddi,

No, I did take the full sequence mtdna test and I have absolutely zero matches, which seems very strange to me. This test was taken over a year ago...
                      I suspect I must be an alien Is it possible that I have such an uncommon subclade?

Comment

Originally posted by Dora View Post
                        Thank you MMaddi,

No, I did take the full sequence mtdna test and I have absolutely zero matches, which seems very strange to me. This test was taken over a year ago...
                        I suspect I must be an alien Is it possible that I have such an uncommon subclade?
                        For you to have taken the full sequence test and have no matches at all, it must mean that you have at least 4 uncommon mutations. The up side of that is that there's a good chance that anyone who differs with you on only one or two mutations shares a common ancestor with you in the last few hundred years.

Comment

Originally posted by MMaddi View Post
                          For you to have taken the full sequence test and have no matches at all, it must mean that you have at least 4 uncommon mutations. The up side of that is that there's a good chance that anyone who differs with you on only one or two mutations shares a common ancestor with you in the last few hundred years.
                          i ordered the fms for my grandpa's uncle but yet has only one hrv1 match(who is b4'5.). i was really expecting more matches , but unfortunately he only has one. i hope closer matches come soon since i hope to break a brick wall on that side. this is frustrating since i'm sure there's several people who are b2 or b4'5
                          Last edited by crossover; 24th March 2017, 10:04 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by MMaddi View Post
                            MMaddi

Curious as to how we can tell what is an uncommon mutation. I also have never had a match, having taken the full sequence test several years ago. I always figured it was because my maternal line comes from a small remote village in Switzerland.

Auslander

Comment

Originally posted by Auslander View Post
                              MMaddi

Curious as to how we can tell what is an uncommon mutation. I also have never had a match, having taken the full sequence test several years ago. I always figured it was because my maternal line comes from a small remote village in Switzerland.

Auslander
                              What's your haplogroup/subclade? Have you joined the appropriate haplogroup project? The administrators of the appropriate project would be more knowledgeable than me about what might be uncommon mutations you have that are stopping you from getting matches.

Comment

Working...
                              X