Upgrading a test

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Upgrading a test

I bought an Mtdna test for my granddaughter. It was very basic and now I would like to upgrade it so her raw DNA data will be available. I can't find where to upgrade except to buy another test.

you need to sign into her kit number account. Once in there should be a button on the top right that says upgrade. Family finder should be one of the options that are present. Other option is to click on the cart (same spot) and add a family finder kit.

Comment

Upgrade

I signed in and clicked upgrade but they want me to buy a test. I know there is an upgrade using the original test.

Comment

What level mtDNA test does she have? What are you wanting to upgrade to?

Upgrading is buying a new test, but not buying a new kit.

Comment

Upgrading a test

I don't want to spend $79 for them to reuse the kit. I can buy a new kit for the same amount. Seems like it should be less for them to use what they already have.

Comment

Originally posted by BevSpra View Post
            I don't want to spend $79 for them to reuse the kit. I can buy a new kit for the same amount. Seems like it should be less for them to use what they already have.
            That's the way it works. One kit for one person, and all orders from that person through the DNA sample for that kit. After several tests, it's possible that they'll run out of sample. In that case, they'll send you a new kit with the existing kit number (really just an account number) to collect a new sample for future tests.

If you order a new kit, then whatever test you order with the new kit will not be reflected in her existing account. Imagine the chaos in the database if one person has several test results in different accounts.

Comment

Upgrading a test

Well if that is the case, I'm taking my money to another site.

Comment

Well if that is the case, I'm taking my money to another site.
                It's your money to spend as you see fit.

However, consider this. You wrote in your first post that you had the very basic mtDNA test for your granddaughter and you want to upgrade. Assuming you mean that she's had the mtDNA test that only includes HVR1 testing, you can upgrade her to either HVR2 or the full sequence, which includes HVR1, HVR2 and the coding region. The coding region includes most of the mtDNA locations, which are not included in the HVR1 and HVR2 tests.

Frankly, upgrading to just HVR2, which costs $79 from either an existing account or a new account, won't tell you much more than you know already about her mtDNA. If you really are curious about her haplogroup or want to use mtDNA results as part of genealogical research, then you would need to upgrade to the full sequence.

For your granddaughter to upgrade to the full sequence using her existing account would cost $159. To order the full sequence for her from a totally new account (kit number) would cost $199. So, if you want to order the most comprehensive mtDNA test for her, you'd spend $40 more using your approach than what I and others are suggesting to you. But again, it's your money to spend; we're just trying to advise you how to spend it most wisely to get the results you want.

Comment

If referring to upgrading mtDNA to Family Finder (you mention Raw Data).

mtDNA and Family Finder are separate sections of DNA. You are not "upgrading" your test that has partial results already.

Family Finder is testing the autosomal chromosomes, there is no discount when "upgrading" unless you are upgrading a test already taken

ie mtDNA+ to mtFullSequence
                  or a yDNA test to a higher level yDNA test.

Only time you can get a discount on FamilyFinder when upgrading is when they offer their Sales discounts

Comment

Seems like it should be less for them to use what they already have.
                    You save the $13 shipping cost, as well as the back-and-forth shipping delays.

Comment

The kit itself is only worth a few dollars. What you are paying for when you buy a test is basically the service of running your dna through expensive machines, analyzing your data, and providing you with the website to review your results and matches.

Comment

If one plans to eventually do the Full MtDNA, then it is a total waste of money to order one of the lower levels of MtDNA first. Did it myself once, then learned. Do not waste money going to the middle level. (It sounds like they are cheating you, but as I understand it, it has to do with what they have to do to test to the higher level - ie, as I understand it, they basically have to run that whole lower level test/process again as well as the additional part.)

If you have not done the FamilyFinder Test, my strong suggestion is to order that as an upgrade instead of upgrading the MtDNA to the next level.

If you are interested in finding matches within a genealogical time-frame, FamilyFinder is much better!
                        And if you are interested in Ethnic breakdown, it is probably better for that, too.

Comment

Working...
                        X