BIG TROUBLE

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• BIG TROUBLE

OK, just got a MATCH on "X-Chrom", at 188cm, longest 41cm, X=8.85cm. She matches 3 out of 7 others, in the SAME place on X. She saids her Mother Adopted, she knowns Grandmother "Margaret Rhodes". PROBLEM, Margaret Rhodes, Sister of Grandfather, Grandmother MALONEY.
    COULD there be SOME KIND OF MIX UP ON DNA??? Project #290905

Are you saying you think you have the same Margaret Rhodes in your tree?

I've had a look at our matches and a couple of known 2nd cousins have similar amounts of matching DNA. I think a DNA mix-up is unlikely.

Comment

Could you be a little more explicit? Who are these 3 out of 7 others? Are they your family members?

Margaret Rhodes is your own grandfather's sister??? And this match says her grandmother's name was Margaret Rhodes also??? I'm not quite sure that's what you're saying. I could be misunderstanding the situation.

Comment

BIG TROUBLE

OK, her last name is LOVING, her mother was adopted, but she saids her Grandmother is MARGARET RHODES, my GrandFather's sister. but she matches me 8.85cM's on my X-Chromosome, WHY???

Comment

BIG TROUBLE

Originally posted by MoberlyDrake View Post
          Could you be a little more explicit? Who are these 3 out of 7 others? Are they your family members?

Margaret Rhodes is your own grandfather's sister??? And this match says her grandmother's name was Margaret Rhodes also??? I'm not quite sure that's what you're saying. I could be misunderstanding the situation.

I have a total of 8 matches in my "X-CHROM". 3 of these people match her exactly at one spot on my X-CHROM.

Comment

Originally posted by htb View Post

I have a total of 8 matches in my "X-CHROM". 3 of these people match her exactly at one spot on my X-CHROM.
            Why do you think that would mean some type of mix-up?

In general, if 3 or more people share an overlapping segment on a chromosome, it indicates that all of them received it from the same ancestors. That would be a clue to search the individuals' surnames and locations to try to find the common ancestors involved.

By the way, you're posting this in the forum devoted to mitochondrial DNA (mtDNA), but you're asking about segments on the x chromosome. It's a common misconception that mtDNA and the x chromosome are the same. They're not.

The mtDNA is a small amount of DNA found outside the cell nucleus. Only the mother is involved in passing on her mtDNA to her sons and daughters; then her daughters pass it on to their children.

The x chromosome(s) are in the cell nucleus. Women have two x chromosomes, one from their mother and the other from their father. Men have one x chromosome, from their mother; instead of an x, they get a y chromosome from their father.

Comment

She being female, inherited

her paternal X chromosome from her father, which would be from her paternal Grandmother

her maternal X chromosome from her mother, which would be a random combination of her maternal Grandfather and her maternal Grandmother (who she claims in Margaret Rhodes)

You (unsure of Gender), inherited

your maternal X chromosome from mother which is a random combination of your maternal Grandfather and maternal Grandmother
              If this maternal Grandfather is the sibling of Margaret Rhodes, both of them would have a random mixture on X of their mothers two X's some shared some not.
              You can share from 0cM upwards on X, just depends on what each inherited.

If you are female you also have a paternal X chromosome from your father which would be from your paternal Grandmother
              In this case, if you are female and Margaret Rhodes brother is your paternal Grandfather, you would not share on X as your father would not have received X from his father.
              Share on X maybe due to an alternative secondary line or be IBS.

Comment

Originally posted by htb View Post
                OK, her last name is LOVING, her mother was adopted, but she saids her Grandmother is MARGARET RHODES, my GrandFather's sister. but she matches me 8.85cM's on my X-Chromosome, WHY???
                The mother of your match (Loving) was adopted by Margaret Rhodes (your grand aunt), and you have a matching segment on the X chromosome with Loving.

The situation could be that Loving's mother might be the child of another family member related to Margaret Rhodes. Loving's mother would inherit her matching X segment (that she shares with you and the others) from her birth mother or birth father. One of them may be in your X inheritance lines, if the segment is not Identical by State (IBS, a match by coincidence).

You can use a blank chart to fill in the ancestors who could have passed on any X chromosome segments to you, which you can download at this link. Fill it in to narrow down which relatives could be the possible common ancestors to you and Loving.

Another point is that if you and Loving are both female, an 8.85 cM match on the X chromosome is not considered very big. Sharing 188 cM on all chromosomes might indicate a relationship back several generations, to your second or third great grandparent level, or more.
                Last edited by KATM; 26 January 2017, 05:44 PM.

Comment

I would consider 8.85 cM on the X chromosome to be very small and possibly identical by state. If it is identical by descent it could be pretty far back.

I would focus on that 41 cM segment and any other large segments you might share. If you have any matches in common on those segments, try to find out if any of the shared matches have ancestors in common with you. My mother shares 119 cM, longest segment 49 cM with a 2nd cousin once removed.

If you read the forum here, quite a few people get unpleasant, or at least completely unexpected, surprises when they test. I found out that the father of my great-grandfather was not the husband of my 2nd great-grandmother, but a neighbor. They used to warn you to be prepared (I was, but didn't really think it would happen. I had documents). Ancestry's sell, sell, sell, and never mind educating people beforehand, or informing them of the inaccuracy of ethnicity results, has done away with warnings about possible consequences. DNA books warn you, but most people don't read up before they test.

Comment

BIG TROUBLE

I found my Answer. Since LOVING's Grandmother is my Grandfather's Sister, and Probably my MOM gave me MORE of her Father's Mother, then that's why LOVING and I are MATCHED on my X Chrom. THANKS FOR YA'S HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

Working...
                    X