General Question about mtDNA

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• General Question about mtDNA

Does the mtDNA include all males and females from my mother's ancestry? I was surprised to find a strong connection to native american ancestry. It would most likely have come through my maternal grandfather's ancestry.

No, mtDNA traces only a single line: your mother's mother's mother's etc. line. It is like a laser pointer, which travels a long distance, basically undiluted (no mutations).

Autosomal DNA can be thought of as a flood light. The light doesn't travel anywhere near as far, but it covers all of your ancestry.

X-DNA can be thought of as a sort of a flashlight. It doesn't cover all of your ancestry like autosomal DNA, but it can be used to travel further (in time).

Comment

Originally posted by sefarlow View Post
      Does the mtDNA include all males and females from my mother's ancestry? I was surprised to find a strong connection to native american ancestry. It would most likely have come through my maternal grandfather's ancestry.
      What is your mtDNA haplogroup?

Comment

Originally posted by sefarlow View Post
        no

mtDNA is only inherited from your mother so it only traces the strictly maternal line, a person and then their mother and their mother's mother and then their mother's mother's mother and then their mother's mother's mother's mother and so on, nothing else whatsoever (except under very, very rare circumstances)

Comment

Originally posted by wombat View Post
          no

mtDNA is only inherited from your mother so it only traces the strictly maternal line, a person and then their mother and their mother's mother and then their mother's mother's mother and then their mother's mother's mother's mother and so on, nothing else whatsoever (except under very, very rare circumstances)
          MTDNA identified my lost UNCLE.

Comment

Darroll: Please tell us more about how mtDNA was used to identify your lost uncle. Many thanks.

Comment

Here's how a man can be traced using mtDNA.

A man has the same mtDNA that his mother has, so it is possible for a man to locate another man using mtDNA if the other man is also a direct male descendant from the female line.

Example, my brother's mtDNA is the same as mine, so my mother's brothers could be traced through their mtDNA as it would be the same as hers. So a maternal uncle could be traced through his testing of his mtDNA if he had taken the mtDNA test. But his children, my cousins on my mother's side would not show any of their father's mtDNA, only those cousins who descended from my aunt, my mother's sister would share my mother's mtDNA.

Comment

Originally posted by marietta View Post
                Darroll: Please tell us more about how mtDNA was used to identify your lost uncle. Many thanks.
                To make a long repeated story short:
                My grandmother and her husband had a young son.
                For some reason he packed up and moved to Canada in the middle of the night.
                My Mom and Grandmother looked for the child their whole lives.
                I did my MTDNA and bingo. There he was in Canada as a perfect match. He has a rare surname. I looked him up later and he had moved back to Jefferson, Texas.
                He contacted me and wanted to know why out DNA matches.
                I'm not a home wrecker so I said I don't know. I have posted this many times. His parents should of told him that his Mom is not his Mom. It's not my business.

Comment

Originally posted by darroll View Post
                  He contacted me and wanted to know why out DNA matches.
                  I'm not a home wrecker so I said I don't know. I have posted this many times. His parents should of told him that his Mom is not his Mom. It's not my business.
                  Good Grief!

Thanks Darroll,

I always say that if you can't handle the results, don't do the test. If he was seriously trying to fill out his family tree, there is a lot he never could have figured out without your match.

Jack

Comment

Originally posted by georgian1950 View Post
                    Good Grief!

Thanks Darroll,

I always say that if you can't handle the results, don't do the test. If he was seriously trying to fill out his family tree, there is a lot he never could have figured out without your match.

Jack
                    MTDNA testing have been very productive. Also my Deceased cousin and his girl friend had a little one that was adopted out. My cousin never had his dna tested. It was a perfect match to me because we have the same grandmother. The guy that found his father should be happy. That's what I'm here for.

Comment

Working...
                    X