Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• mtDNA testing my uncle

Testing for my paternal grandmother, Mary Elizabeth Irvine

A number of wonderful comments have been given on testing my uncle using the mtDNA test. I have been looking my paternal grandmother Norman's mother my grandmother. I have one female cousin Joan who is Mary Elizabeth Irvine's grandmother. I am Mary Elizabeth's paternal grandson. So three players should be able to point to Mary Elizaberh Irvine. Would it be made easier by testing all three?

Norman Hagan is Mary Elizabeth Irvine's son
    Joan Straub is her granddaughter
    Richard Hagan is her grandson

These are the three avenues open to me to hopefully locate her. Autosomal testing shows all three of us as close matches but every other match is at the 4th to 6th cousin match.

I would think that since Norman is the closest wouldn't he be the logical choice to test? If I were to test all three wouldn't that create a close group making it easier to find this woman? Wouldn't it make finding her a slightly better chance by testing all three?
    Rich

Originally posted by richjh View Post

A number of wonderful comments have been given on testing my uncle using the mtDNA test. I have been looking my paternal grandmother Norman's mother my grandmother. I have one female cousin Joan who is Mary Elizabeth Irvine's grandmother. I am Mary Elizabeth's paternal grandson. So three players should be able to point to Mary Elizaberh Irvine. Would it be made easier by testing all three?

These are the three avenues open to me to hopefully locate her. Autosomal testing shows all three of us as close matches but every other match is at the 4th to 6th cousin match.

I would think that since Norman is the closest wouldn't he be the logical choice to test? If I were to test all three wouldn't that create a close group making it easier to find this woman? Wouldn't it make finding her a slightly better chance by testing all three?
    Rich
    No, don't do anymore mtDNA testing of your family. By testing your uncle Norman you already have his mother's mtDNA. Testing more family with mtDNA is just a waste of money. You've already done the right thing by testing multiple family members with autosomal DNA. If you are trying to prove that Mary Elizabeth Irvine is your grandmother your best bet is to research her family and see if she has any living descendants or closely related blood relatives of her and do a autosomal DNA test on one of them.

Comment

Originally posted by richjh View Post

Rich
      I am confused though, what exactly are you trying to prove? Are you trying to prove that Norman's mother was Mary Elizabeth Irvine or are you trying to find Mary's parents?

Comment

Working...
      X