No announcement yet.

Giving my uncle Norman the mtDNA kit

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What does it mean, "test him to the FMS"?
    Rich

Comment

Mr W,
      Thank you for your quick response. These are a few of the results. I have only started to explore these results. If I just select FF it returns 0 but if I select mtDNA these are my results,

Haplogroup Country Match Total
      j1c12 Austria 1
      j1c12 England 5
      j1c12 Ireland 2
      j1c12 Scotland 2
      j1c12 Sweden 3

Rich

Originally posted by dna View Post
      Anyone of those 11 matches showing as a match in Family Finder? The mtDNA - Matches page would show you which ones took FF (Family Finder) test.

Anyone with more than an e-mail address in the profile? Start with these one

Anyone with a Family Tree? Take a close look at names and places (tedious, since places are not immediately visible).

I would write to matches explaining your uncle mtDNA line. Include maiden surnames (family name at birth), married family names, and places, hypothetical ones too. Dates and males do not need to be included, actually they would only be a distraction. Maybe someone would have a hit at either a name or place.

So to answer your question, provide the relevant information and ask whether they see any match to their mtDNA tree.

Good luck!

Mr W

Comment

I have 15 results with email addresses listed under Normans mtDNA test results. It looks like it will keep me busy for some time.
        Rich

Comment

my mistake it has 8 at a distance of "0" and 4 at a distance of "1". 8 of them have FF in the designation.
          Rich

Comment

I just sent my 1st email trying to locate her. I want to thank everyone for the information regarding her identity and mtDNA full sequence testing. I can see that it contains an enormous amount of data. Who knows it may finally hold the key in finding her identity.
            Rich

Comment

Originally posted by richjh View Post
              Mr W,
              Thank you for your quick response. These are a few of the results. I have only started to explore these results. If I just select FF it returns 0 but if I select mtDNA these are my results,
              Have you uploaded Uncle Norman's data from Ancestry to FtDNA?

Comment

The results have been posted and Mary Elizabeth Irvine's mtDNA haplogroup is jic12. Under matches it gives four number 1 matches and seven number 0 matches. It gives the a name and date of a person my uncle is associated with and when I click on the mtDNA match it gives me a current email address.

I have contacted a few of these matches and we want to do a one-on-one comparison. Do you think it possible for some of these contacts to lead me to MaryElizabeth Irvine?
                Rich

Comment

Have you uploaded Uncle Norman's data from Ancestry to FTDNA? - To the same Kit as his MtDNA results? (or did he take the FamilyFinder Test at FTDNA?) -- If neither, then you definitely want to do one of those next.

Then you should look at the folks who match Norman on both FamilyFinder and MtDNA.

Comment

Originally posted by Conat View Post
                    Would she be in the UK's 1939 Register? That really helped me as I was struggling to pin down my grandfather and that gave us his date of birth which allowed us to verify that the baptismal information (with a variant of the surname) was correct.
                    The 1939 Register does not cover Northern Ireland (see http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/h...1939-register/ )

The Irish 1901/1911 Censuses may be of use (Northern Ireland wasn't a political entity then and the whole of Ireland was a part of the UK). These Censuses can be searched for free at http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/

Also, a lot of documentation was lost in 1922 when the Four Courts/National Records were ablaze as part of the independence struggle.

I am in exactly the same boat. I found my grandmother (also called Mary!) on the 1911 Census in Belfast but she was orphaned/adopted and I cannot find her birth/baptism...
                    Last edited by AntG77; 20th August 2016, 09:30 PM.

Comment

I wound up having both my uncle and my cousin whose paternal grandmother was Mary Elizabeth Irvine. Their mtDNA haplogroup is J1c12. I have had them both take the FamilyFinder test. When the results are in on both of these tests them the search will begin in earnest.
                      Rich

Originally posted by Everwaiting View Post
                      Yes, you are correct. Testing your uncle will give you mtDNA information for his mother, his maternal grandmother, and so on. The mtFull-Sequence will enable you to determine the exact subclade status of that mtDNA line, now and in the future as new branches are found.

Some of the value in testing will depend on the haplogroup and subclade to which your uncle belongs. Some subclades are frequently seen, while others are rare. Many are widely dispersed, while (less often), they are primarily seen in a specific region or population (e.g., Finland or Ashkenazi Jews).

Even those in a 'common' sublade will often have a novel or rarely-seen mutation. In that case, an exact mtDNA match has the potential to be more meaningful and to provide genealogically-relevant information.

I've always had an interest in what my ancestors were up to in the distant past. So, it's my personal opinion that mtDNA full-sequence testing provides incredibly valuable information about one's ancestral heritage, regardless of whether it adds names to one's family tree or not.

-- Martha Hicks

Comment

Working...
                      X