mtDNA FS aide to determine 7th G GM

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• mtDNA FS aide to determine 7th G GM

I have had my Full Sequencing done. I know my maternal line up to my 7th GGM for certain. However, her mother’s last name is not known for certain. It is assumed by many, on circumstantial evidence. If it is true, then I know her mother but her grandmother (my 10th GGM) goes back to speculation, and possible a dead end.

Does having a fully sequenced mtDNA do any good in possibly proving, or disproving, possible surnames of my 8th and 10th G GMs? If so, if anyone has any pointers to sites where I might learn how to prove the likelihood we have assumed the correct names, it would certainly be appreciated if someone could pass them on.

Thank you,
    Jim

Originally posted by John Hayman View Post
    I have had my Full Sequencing done. I know my maternal line up to my 7th GGM for certain. However, her mother’s last name is not known for certain. It is assumed by many, on circumstantial evidence. If it is true, then I know her mother but her grandmother (my 10th GGM) goes back to speculation, and possible a dead end.

Does having a fully sequenced mtDNA do any good in possibly proving, or disproving, possible surnames of my 8th and 10th G GMs? If so, if anyone has any pointers to sites where I might learn how to prove the likelihood we have assumed the correct names, it would certainly be appreciated if someone could pass them on.

Thank you,
    Jim
    Just curious, do you mind saying what haplogroup the line is and the last known maternal ancestor?

Thanks,

Jack

Comment

Originally posted by John Hayman View Post

Thank you,
      Jim
      Confirming or disproving suspected maternal relationship is the area where mtDNA is most useful. But you would need other people who descend in the maternal line from the suspected maternal ancestor to also test their mtDNA.

Comment

Working...
      X