what project to join with mtDNA

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• what project to join with mtDNA

I get the impression that some surname projects are open to women with mtDNA results. How does that work? Does she join a project for her maiden name or her mother's maiden name?

kathy

Find a matching Haplogroup project.

Comment

Kathy, if the project or people in the project use privacy settings that do not allow non-members to see their results, then joining such a project is beneficial to you.

Genealogy is more than just male lines. So at any level of your ancestry there were females who had descendants that can be traced by mtDNA.

Join the surname projects for your family . That is join all the projects you are sure that are yours:
      * for your mother's father
      * for your grandmother's father
      * for your great-grandmother's father
      * etc.

Although it is irrelevant to your question..., for consistency, I recommend that both ladies and guys use their name at birth in their profile name and add other names in the description.

Mr. W

P.S.
      For my family project, I am now trying to get mtDNA that is that of my great-great-grandmother's

Comment

Originally posted by dna View Post
        P.S.
        For my family project, I am now trying to get mtDNA that is that of my great-great-grandmother's
        Do you just hope to find a cousin who has that GG-gm as a common ancestor and has a maternal line to her via a paper trail? Need a little bit of luck there, don't you?

Wishing you success.

Jack

Comment

Originally posted by georgian1950 View Post
          Do you just hope to find a cousin who has that GG-gm as a common ancestor and has a maternal line to her via a paper trail? Need a little bit of luck there, don't you?

Wishing you success.

Jack
          Thank you! I hope that my ( paper trail ) cousin would agree to DNA testing.

I know mtDNA lines of all four of my great-grandmothers.

But I have no more mtDNA information about great-great-grandmothers, only those four. A cousin is a good prospect for one line. Then there is one cousin in another line who might be willing, but only if somebody else helps with all the steps (due to health limitations...). The other two lines are a lost cause due to the lack of female descendants.

On the other hand, I know one more line of my great-great-great-grandmothers. And that is very, very nice, since the 4th cousin who provided mtDNA barely registers in my Family Finder (Longest Block is only 11cM) and is absent in my other 4th cousin Family Finder.

Mr. W

Comment

Very useful post,

Thanks for sharing

Comment

Working...
            X