Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lack of matches in mtDna

Hi

I find it very curious that since my wife did a full mtdna test with Ftdna in April 2014, her 2 dozen matches have never increased, not even by one. no Hv1 or Hv2 or CR.

Her FF increases now and then, ( 3 pages )it must mean its working.

Why lack of matches for 8 months. She is K1a4

Originally posted by Bartot View Post
    Hi

I find it very curious that since my wife did a full mtdna test with Ftdna in April 2014, her 2 dozen matches have never increased, not even by one. no Hv1 or Hv2 or CR.

It means that on average only around 2 people from the mtDNA haplogroup K that have haplotype similar to hers tested with FTDNA in a year.

K1a4 is not associated with the populations that most testers here have. I do not have any statistics, but it appears that the haplogroup H is the most popular, and then probably haplogroups of Ashkenazim.

By just looking around (I did not go into every single mtDNA project!) I could see K1a4 in Cumberland Gap, Germany-mt-DNA and Kurdish DNA Project... Possibly populations where K1a4 is popular do not have many testers.

W.

Comment

I have a project member who had 0 matches for more than 8 months. Be content with what you have.

Comment

I started with 11 matches in April 2014, all at genetic distance 3 or higher.

In the past nearly ten months I have gained one single new match and it was an HVR1 match only.

There are a lot of categories for people to fall into and not many taking the test. As the database grows, it will undoubtedly become more exciting.

Comment

Originally posted by Bartot View Post
          Hi

There are many more people testing for FF or importing from other companies than there are people testing for mtDNA. Probably because it's cheaper and it covers one's full ancestry, not just one line.

Comment

There are many nay sayers who don't understand the benefit that may be gained by testing FullSequence mtDNA and joining the mt projects, so much so they actively discourage folk from bothering with mtDNA testing at all.

Both mt & Y dna could be so much more useful if the majority did the full tests for both, at the moment it's only the minority testing all the way.

Comment

Originally posted by grahcom View Post
              There are many nay sayers who don't understand the benefit that may be gained by testing FullSequence mtDNA and joining the mt projects, so much so they actively discourage folk from bothering with mtDNA testing at all.

Both mt & Y dna could be so much more useful if the majority did the full tests for both, at the moment it's only the minority testing all the way.
              I agree with you on this. I think it's neat for mtDNA that you can get your full mitochondrial genome and have it done for good for whatever purposes down the road. I've had all of my available direct maternal lines FMS-tested.

Comment

Originally posted by grahcom View Post

Well, if it was less expensive more people would take the y and mt tests. I realize they're probably expensive for a reason and I'm not discouraging people from taking them - I'm awaiting mt results myself - but I can't blame people for not wanting to drop $200-360 on something that, for many, is just a hobby.

Comment

Originally posted by Germanica View Post
                  Well, if it was less expensive more people would take the y and mt tests. I realize they're probably expensive for a reason and I'm not discouraging people from taking them - I'm awaiting mt results myself - but I can't blame people for not wanting to drop $200-360 on something that, for many, is just a hobby.
                  I think people are spending real money™, because it is a hobby

W.

Comment

mtDNA Haplogroup H6a1b3a

I think I really lucked out; I have 23 matches of 0 genetic distance to my mtDNA.

I also have many autosomal matches. Overwhelming majority from VA, almost nothing from MD (My mother's makeup is 25% line from VA, but fully 75% back through MD). I was very lucky in that a large number of Virginians seem to have gotten into genetic genealogy, including many in the tidewater area. So I'm digging deep into that 25 % VA origins that Mother carries.

I have been fortunate to find a mtDNA match whose most distant mtDNA ancestress was born in the same place as my ancestress, Essex, Virginia, about 90 years apart. I hadn't expected to find such a solid lead to explore so quickly.

Comment

I am U5a2c3a and have 23 HVR1 exact matches, only 2 HVR2 exact matches and 0 FMS matches.

My wife T2b, has 98 PAGES of HVR1 exact matches, she has 23 PAGES of HVR2 exact matches, she has 3 PAGES of FMS at 3 step Genetic distance.

My H54 maternal male 1C has, 438 PAGES of HVR1 exact matches, 7 HVR2 exact matches, 5 FMS matches 2 at 1 Genetic distance and 3 at 3.

(25 matches per page)

I just wish more folk would take the FMS test and join the projects.

Comment

My dad's results were just posted tonight, and he's U5b1c2b, with 9 exact matches on HVR1, no matches at all on HVR2, and 3 matches at GD3 for the FMS.

Now if I could just trace Dad's maternal line back to Europe from Virginia, since I'm back to the 1600s and still in Virginia... (I can trace back his maternal line 9 generations before him).

I haven't got my results yet (I'm honestly not expecting them til next week at the earliest because I was in the batch after my dad's). I do know where my most distant maternal ancestor is from, though -- Clifden, County Galway, Ireland. But I can only go back to my 3rd great-grandma on my own maternal line.

Comment

A female paternal 1C of mine , has pages of mtDNA matches,

29 FMS matches, 4 exact, 14 at 1GD, 8 at 2GD, 3 at 3GD

74 pages (25 per page) exact HVR2 matches

438 pages (25 per page) exact HVR1 matches

Hopefully this will help break her Irish mother line brick wall.

Comment

No MTDNA matches

I did the full sequence MTDNA test and received matches for the HVR1, 2, and Coding regions in mid January and NOTHING since. I cannot believe there has not been a new match at least on the HVR1 level since then.

I am shocked you have not had any new matches since 2014 though! Maybe FTDNA only provides one shot at matches with this test. Geez.

Comment

Next month will be two years since my mtDNA test results came in. To this day I have zero matches.

Comment

Working...
                              X