Haplogroup with mtDNA Plus?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Haplogroup with mtDNA Plus?

I was just curious as to if testing with mtDNA Plus instead of the full sequence test still gives you a haplogroup? I'm more interested in my maternal origins than matches.

Yes, you will get a haplogroup, but not the full information about the sub grouping of the haplogroup. My brother did the mtplus using his mtDNA from our common mother. He is in the H haplogroup and ends up with matches all over the place in H. I had the full sequence run and am also an H, but an H10c1 and all the incomplete H matches that are thrown at my brother, aren't tossed my way.

But so far I haven't run across any of my zero step matches that also match on the FF test, and was told by the project administrator that I probably wouldn't come across anyone really close genealogically. I was hoping to find someone who was a possible match one step beyond my G grandmother. My brick wall.
    Last edited by keigh; 7 January 2015, 07:18 PM.

Comment

Interesting. With the mtDNA Plus could he choose to test for specific subgroups like you do with Y-DNA?

Comment

Originally posted by jtoml3 View Post
        Interesting. With the mtDNA Plus could he choose to test for specific subgroups like you do with Y-DNA?
        No. Full mtDNA is required to get a full haplogroup assignment.

By the way, unless someone truly cannot afford it, I am recommending to take a full mtDNA test, since otherwise only clues about ancient populations are obtained.

W.

Comment

In some cases you can get a fairly specifc haplogroup/subclade prediction from HVR test results, so if funds are a concern, it is worthwhile to start with the HVR test. If you turn out to be generic H you will definitely want to test the full sequence, but you can order the upgrade during a sale to minimize the extra cost of 2 stage testing.

Comment

It's funny to me because with the $99 23andme test I got the exact same halogroup that I received for the full sequence at FTDNA. Now I want to find out for some of my other lines but don't want to pay $199 for other people im just going to try 23 and see what I get I, really just want to know my paternal grandfathers mom's line.

Comment

My primary interest is to know my mother's haplogroup.
              Is mtDNA plus test sufficient for my concern?
              By the way, what's HVR1 and HVR2?

Comment

Originally posted by Jesse1961 View Post
                My primary interest is to know my mother's haplogroup.
                Is mtDNA plus test sufficient for my concern?
                By the way, what's HVR1 and HVR2?
                Test of the entire mtDNA (named FMS or mtFull Sequence) is required to get the accurate haplogroup assignment.

To learn about HVRs (hypervariable regions) please read
                W. (Mr.)

Comment

W. (Mr.)

When you say accurate haplogroup assignment, you mean the specific one (sub-clade)?
                  If I am contented with the main haplogroup only, is mtDNA plus test sufficient enough?

Comment

Based on mtDNAplus (HVR1+HVR2) FTDNA gave me haplogroup H designation, but my nearest match was a H4a1a4b. Based on my own study of my matches, I believed that I was at least H4a1a. Being curious, I wanted to know if my "guess" was correct. When the full sequence results came, the designation was indeed H4a1a4b. It is not necessarily the end of story, as there might come some more numbers and letters to the end of the haplogroup designation, because of the "extra mutations" I have.

Comment

Originally posted by Jesse1961 View Post
                      W. (Mr.)

When you say accurate haplogroup assignment, you mean the specific one (sub-clade)?
                      If I am contented with the main haplogroup only, is mtDNA plus test sufficient enough?
                      To get a single letter designation mtDNAplus test is enough.

On the other hand, just testing HVR1 and HVR2 is not enough . So Family Tree DNA, in the mtDNAplus test, in addition to testing HVR1 and HVR2 is testing some additional SNPs from the control region.

Mr. W.

P.S.
                      If you want anything more beyond a single letter label, the FMS test is needed.

Comment

Working...
                      X