No matches on Y DNA

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• No matches on Y DNA

I have had no matches on my Y DNA (my brother took the test as I am female). I have had a few matches on my MT DNA. What reason could exist for no matches? The haplo group is J2e1.
    Thank you for any insight.

Sample bias is the most likely cause. The majority of people tested trace their roots back to western Europe. Those of use with Y haplogroups that do not originate in western Europe tend to have far fewer and more distant matches. I have zero even at twelve markers for instance and my Y DNA traces back to eastern Europe. My only exact match is at ten markers to a two thousand year old mummy.

I'm hoping things will improve as more people are tested and the sample pool broadens.

Comment

Suggest you look up his results and post his terminal SNP.

The designations in the format "J2e1" are falling apart due to the growing complexity of the tree. The SNP is the first thing on which to focus.

Comment

No matches on Y DNA

By "no matches", I'm guessing you mean none appearing on the search list. To some, "match" is not a yes/no matter, but one of degrees.

It's possible, of course, that FTDNA has tested no one else with a haplotype even remotely like your brother's. This could be sampling bias or it could be that the haplotype is genuinely rare.

Another possible reason has to do with the limits ("reporting windows") on maximum steps of genetic distance at the various comparison levels -- 12 markers, 25, 37, etc. For example, the maximum window at 12 markers is 0 steps, except between members of the same project where it becomes 1 step. At 25 markers, the maximum is 2 steps; at 37, 4, at 67, 7; and at 111, 10. Any mismatches beyond these windows will not be reported.

This can be a factor when a single mutation produces a large discrepancy (e.g., a null value for a marker). And, if some volatile markers differ by more than one step each. Such matches may be closer than detectable by the search engine.

My recommendation is to join a project (say, for your surname) and ask for the admin's advice. Project admins have access to some specialized tools that aren't available to the general public.
        -rt_/)

Comment

Originally posted by nichada View Post
          I have had no matches on my Y DNA (my brother took the test as I am female). I have had a few matches on my MT DNA. What reason could exist for no matches? The haplo group is J2e1.
          Thank you for any insight.
          Have you joined the Y dna J (J2) Project. J2e1 is now J2b1. If you know the terminal SNP, your brother might be a member of a cluster at the Project.
          Last edited by josh w.; 9 December 2013, 07:28 PM.

Comment

Working...
          X