Jewish origins?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jewish origins?

So, my maternal grandmother and I have both tested. We just got out MTDNA HVR1 results back. We are both haplogroup H.

I knew that I had Sephardic Jewish ancestry on my mother's father's side based on the paper trail, but I was really surprised to see a a LOT of Ashkenazic, Sephardic, and Mizrachi matches on my mother's mother's side. Over 100 and then I stopped counting! She has 18 cousins in Israel, for heaven's sake, and many more in Eastern Europe, Germany, and Italy. Also 38 in the Netherlands, and I know a lot of Jews passed through there on the way to America.

The paper trail stops at about 1800 on the maternal line, with a name that doesn't sound Jewish (Gregory). However, I do not know that person's mother's last name. I do know that her first name was most likely Susannah, which can be Hebrew. Also, from that generation to the present, that family always favored rather Hebrew sounding old testament given names: several Ruths and Miriams, a couple of Rhodas, Rebeccas, and Rachels, etc.

So, my question is, does this mean we have likely Jewish ancestry? Are there other questions I should be asking? My grandmother is going to think this is really interesting, but I would like to pin it down a little better before showing her this information. Thanks.

Without knowing anything about your particular situation, I will point out that FTDNA uses not only customers' results, but also their "scientific database," for their Haplogroup Origins, etc. Those sequences were not complete in HVR1, so FTDNA allows one-mutation-off matches. And that database was obtained largely from Jewish populations. Anything you can see in the Comment column can be ignored.

Bill Hurst

Comment

Originally posted by expatmutt View Post
      So, my maternal grandmother and I have both tested. We just got out MTDNA HVR1 results back. We are both haplogroup H.

I knew that I had Sephardic Jewish ancestry on my mother's father's side based on the paper trail, but I was really surprised to see a a LOT of Ashkenazic, Sephardic, and Mizrachi matches on my mother's mother's side. Over 100 and then I stopped counting! She has 18 cousins in Israel, for heaven's sake, and many more in Eastern Europe, Germany, and Italy. Also 38 in the Netherlands, and I know a lot of Jews passed through there on the way to America.

The paper trail stops at about 1800 on the maternal line, with a name that doesn't sound Jewish (Gregory). However, I do not know that person's mother's last name. I do know that her first name was most likely Susannah, which can be Hebrew. Also, from that generation to the present, that family always favored rather Hebrew sounding old testament given names: several Ruths and Miriams, a couple of Rhodas, Rebeccas, and Rachels, etc.

So, my question is, does this mean we have likely Jewish ancestry? Are there other questions I should be asking? My grandmother is going to think this is really interesting, but I would like to pin it down a little better before showing her this information. Thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by expatmutt View Post

It would help to see your HVR 2 matches before reaching a conclusion. Are the majority of your HVR 1 matches Jewish, i.e. do they have surnames that could be Jewish?

Comment

Working...
        X