Defining H Subclades

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Defining H Subclades

I recently got my results for 23andme back and they didn't quite match my FGS results.
    Here I am H7a, but on 23andme I'm H7a1.

I wondered, what marker made the difference? So I went on a search and found it. It was marker 16261T. A marker that was on my HVR1 results! So why then, even after I paid for the FGS results did I only show up as H7a and not H7a1?

I'm not upset by this, just intrigued.

Also here is a map of H subclades. You can see the 16261T for the H7a1 result. I do have the H7a mutation as well, but even with that wouldn't I be H7a1 when I have both?

http://www.snpedia.com/index.php/Hap..._H_%28mtDNA%29

With all of these companies springing up...........
    Good Luck.

Comment

Originally posted by Elistariel View Post
      I recently got my results for 23andme back and they didn't quite match my FGS results.

I wondered, what marker made the difference? So I went on a search and found it. It was marker 16261T. A marker that was on my HVR1 results! So why then, even after I paid for the FGS results did I only show up as H7a and not H7a1?

Also here is a map of H subclades. You can see the 16261T for the H7a1 result. I do have the H7a mutation as well, but even with that wouldn't I be H7a1 when I have both?

FTDNA usually updates their haplogroup definitions once a year. When they do it next Fall, you will probably be labeled H7a1.

Comment

The results you got from 23andMe are not equivalent to FTDNA's FGS test. 23andMe doesn't test for some mito markers. I had the same question after I tested at both and the subclade designation was different. You can use Ann Turner's excel spreadsheet to parse out the markers that came up with 23andMe and then compare them with your FTDNA FGS to see which ones 23andMe left out. Bottom line, I'd go with the markers you got from FTDNA to determine your subclade.

Comment

Originally posted by westpa View Post
          The results you got from 23andMe are not equivalent to FTDNA's FGS test. 23andMe doesn't test for some mito markers. I had the same question after I tested at both and the subclade designation was different. You can use Ann Turner's excel spreadsheet to parse out the markers that came up with 23andMe and then compare them with your FTDNA FGS to see which ones 23andMe left out. Bottom line, I'd go with the markers you got from FTDNA to determine your subclade.
          FTDNA is the one telling me I have the markers for H7a1, yet is labeling me as H7a.
          The marker for H7a1 is 16261T, which is in my HVR1 on here. It's RIGHT THERE, front and center, first thing I got and yet H7a I remain on here. It makes me wonder how many matches I really have.

Comment

FTDNA is the one telling me I have the markers for H7a1, yet is labeling me as H7a.
            The marker for H7a1 is 16261T, which is in my HVR1 on here. It's RIGHT THERE, front and center, first thing I got and yet H7a I remain on here. It makes me wonder how many matches I really have.
            FTDNA prefers to wait until a subclade label has been used in a published article, to be sure that the label will be become standard and accepted by other authors. FTDNA is comparing your actual mutation list within its internal database, so your subclade label doesn't matter for that purpose.

Comment

Working...
            X