Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Country of Origin

Originally posted by JuanCarlos View Post
    Thanks for the info. What country is GenBank located in?
    Huh. Stumped me. I did not ask, come to think of it.

I copied this from their main page: "GenBank is part of the International Nucleotide Sequence Database Collaboration, which comprises the DNA DataBank of Japan (DDBJ), the European Molecular Biology Laboratory (EMBL), and GenBank at NCBI. These three organizations exchange data on a daily basis."
    Last edited by Deirwha; 6 June 2009, 08:58 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by JuanCarlos View Post
      Thanks for the info. What country is GenBank located in?
      Hi JuanCarlos and all,

GenBank is part of the National Institutes of Health, USA.

To John: FTDNA allows their customers to use their address for GenBank submissions. Most submitters use "Greenspan, B." as the "Author." That way your results remain anonymous. That is, of course, Bennett Greenspan, the president of FTDNA. As of now, there are 374 GenBank entries from FTDNA.

Anyone wishing to submit their FGS results to GenBank should contact Ian Logan. It's not something you can do on your own.

Bill Hurst

Comment

For those interested, here is Ian Logan's link: http://www.ianlogan.co.uk/Submission.htm

Just so you all know, all submissions and accession numbers are anonymous, but just to be sure, ask for anonymity. Then, the only identifiers are as Bill has stated above, and in the best scenario, also include the most distant known mtDNA contributor's geographic birthplace.

All it will take is a couple of back and forth e-mails with Ian. Then, he'll explain in great detail how to submit your FGS to GenBank.

It really is very simple.

Comment

Well, I received my results today. The difference I noticed is that I went from H6a to H6a1a. But now all my previous low-resolution matches, the only ones I ever had, along with the ancestral origin page, are gone. There are no matches now. I can't really update my Mitosearch page, this is an ongoing problem. I try to edit, but then it goes back to what it used to be. I can not even update my haplogroup. I don't understand anything about mutations, all I now is that I saw the added ones there and the change in haplogroup sub-clades. FTDNA does not provide any information as to where H6a1a is most commonly found.

Comment

According to Wikipedia (not clear what the source is), your subgroup is characterized by:
            H6 239C 16362C 16482G
            * H6a 3915A
            o H6a1 4727G 9380A
            + H6a1a 11253C

I assume that at this level of detail, there aren't simply enough observations to say anything about the geographic dispersion of this particular subgroup.

If you look at Ian Logan's page for 11253, there are a few FGS published:
            http://www.ianlogan.co.uk/discussion/hap_H6.htm
            with various provenances in Europe and the Middle East.

According to Roostalu et al., H6 seems frequent and ancient in Central Asia. However, H6a is more European, and instead seems quite recent.

cacio

Comment

Originally posted by cacio View Post
              According to Wikipedia (not clear what the source is), your subgroup is characterized by:
              H6 239C 16362C 16482G
              * H6a 3915A
              o H6a1 4727G 9380A
              + H6a1a 11253C

I assume that at this level of detail, there aren't simply enough observations to say anything about the geographic dispersion of this particular subgroup.

If you look at Ian Logan's page for 11253, there are a few FGS published:
              http://www.ianlogan.co.uk/discussion/hap_H6.htm
              with various provenances in Europe and the Middle East.

According to Roostalu et al., H6 seems frequent and ancient in Central Asia. However, H6a is more European, and instead seems quite recent.

cacio
              Hi and blessings,
              I am Haplogroup - H6a1a

HVR1 differences from CRS
              16362C
              16482G

HVR2 differences from CRS
              239C
              263G
              309.1C
              315.1C

the 11253C comes from the FGS lol I was thinking hang on, I don't have this in my HVR2 lol then checked the full sequence and there she was *doh*
              You should be coming up with matches on your MTDNA, mind you I only have 7 in my full sequence and have 247 matches in my HVR2 you would think we would be a match wouldn't you?

Comment

Working...
              X