A relatively new member tested through the Genographic Project and has joined the Sicily Project. Her haplogroup is D, which is very surprising. This haplogroup is mainly found among Native Americans and in Central and East Asia.

Since this might have been a case of a maternal line that is Native American, not Sicilian, I asked the member to provide the Sicilian surnames and ancestral towns for the line. The relative who had his mother tested replied and gave me family tree information that indicated the maternal line had been in Sicily at least as far back as the early to mid 1800s. So there's no doubt that the recent ancestry of this line does not involve Native American ancestry.

Here are the HVR1 mutations - 174T,223T,362C,468C - and the HVR2 mutations - 73G,263G,309.1C,315.1C,489C,573.1C.

When the HVR1 mutations were only available, I searched in both the mitosearch and SMGF databases for any close matches. The first mutation, 174T, is rare. In mitosearch there is only one D with that mutation. That person has Japanese ancestry. In SMGF there are two close matches which have the 174T mutation, both with Chinese ancestry. The haplogroup is not given in SMGF, but since the other HVR1 mutations match, I believe these two Chinese ancestry people are also D.

When the HVR2 mutations came in this past week, I repeated the search on both mitosearch and SMGF. Now there are no close matches showing up. I suppose this is because the 3 matches I mentioned in the last paragraph don't have HVR2 tested.

The best explanation that I can come up with for this surprising result is that this maternal line may have originated in China and travelled over the Silk Road which was a major trade route during the Middle Ages. This maternal line ended up, via that route in Italy, or possibly directly in Sicily.

Does anybody know of any results in scientific studies that match the HVR1/HVR2 mutations (especially 16174T) for this Sicily Project member? This family is very eager to find out more about their maternal line and where it may have come from long ago. I will pass on any information about that to them.