Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Admixture or autosomal tests for percentages?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Maria_W
    replied
    Admixture test!

Meant to say that it was an admixture test, giving percentages!
    Maria

Leave a comment:

• Maria_W
    replied
    AncestryByDNA 2.5 and Euro 1.0

I personally, am very satisfied with my test results from AncestrybyDNA 2.5. and Euro 1.0., which uses autosomal dna. I do have documented Native American (Potowomecke) and European ancestry so this test adds more confirmation for me! But I did read where a person expected 59% Native American and got 0%. Needless to say, that person was very shocked and upset by the results!
    Maria

Leave a comment:

• KCat
    Guest replied
    Admixture tests

Thanks for the honest answer and the reference sites. It does seem there are many questions and some ongoing debate to consider before such testing. KCat

Leave a comment:

• Jim Honeychuck
    replied
    KCat,

You didn't get many responses last night, and it could be because there has been much criticism of percentage-based testing.

Notice how quiet this results log has been: http://www.kerchner.com/cgi-kerchner/dnaprint.cgi

Personally I think those categories are too broad, and they beg questions which the test can't answer.

I have learned a lot from another kind of testing, autosomal, which gives "match scores" rather than percentages. It can be hard to interpret, because this type of testing picks up on alleged matches which must be very ancient. Or wrong. And I always encourage people to check the reference populations before ordering. You won't get a match to any population (like English) which is not in the reference database yet. See http://www.dnatribes.com/populations.html

Good luck in your research.

Jim

Leave a comment:

• Nagelfar
    replied
    On your FTDNA results page, in the upper right is the section "order tests" there you select the "advanced orders"; you can select autosomal panel tests there. I don't believe any advanced orders come back from FTDNA since they've offered them yet, I think they send those autosomal tests off to DNAfingerprint.

Leave a comment:

• KCat
    Guest started a topic Admixture or autosomal tests for percentages?

Admixture or autosomal tests for percentages?

I noticed some of the posters on this forum have had tests that break down their DNA into different percentages. Since I my ancestors are from several ethic groups and geographical regions, I'd like such a breakdown.

I learned Gates, the Harvard prof, from the PBS special, learned his racial percentages through an admixture test. Also read on another site about autosomal testing.

Can someone tell me what tests to order and where such testing can be done? Can FTDNA perform this type of test...I had my mtDNA results transferred here. BTW, how accurate are the results?

Thanks again for your help, KCat
Working...
X