Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Admixture or autosomal tests for percentages?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Jim Honeychuck
    I have also found that to be an excellent way to try to make sense of DNA Tribe scores.

For example, the following set of Italian scores would seem to indicate that the individual (me) is not really very Italian at all, and is more likely to share a pre-Germanic ancestry with the Lombards:

6 Italy (0.7) 13.13
    21 Emilia-Romagna, Italy (0.47) 6.91
    24 Lombardia, Italy (0.45) 6.57
    48 Veneto, Italy (0.35) 4.25
    53 Italy (0.38) 4.00
    57 Lazio, Italy (0.41) 3.81
    67 Piemonte, Italy (0.33) 3.33
    74 Liguria, Italy (0.44) 3.12
    91 Sicily, Italy (0.37) 2.69
    103 Marche, Italy (0.28) 2.45
    130 Piedmont, Italy (0.27) 1.74
    136 Toscana, Italy (0.16) 1.54
    153 Toscana, Italy (0.13) 1.36
    162 Calabria, Italy (0.14) 1.16
    170 Campania, Italy (0.13) 1.05
    195 Puglia, Italy (0.24) 0.82
    196 Umbria, Italy (0.21) 0.78
    199 Sicilia, Italy (0.08) 0.75
    228 Catanzaro, Italy (0.15) 0.45
    290 Allia, Sicilia, Italy (0.22) 0.13
    374 Genoa, Italy (0.03) 0.03
    444 Milan, Italy (0.03) 0.01
    462 Rome, Italy (0.03) 0.00
    508 Naples, Italy (0.21) 0.00
    566 Venice, Italy (0) 0.00

Jim
    no known Italian ancestry
    I had no Italian on my Autosomal from FamilyTreeDna and OmniPop150.5 ,but many India. But everybody says I'm Italian,wait til they find out!! I heard Italy is made up of many different people,I wonder if your Italian is really "Italian" ?

Comment

You should know that about 2% of Europeans show strong matches to Asia. Personally my results came back strongly as Nepalese, despite the fact that virtually all of my ancestors for the past 500 years lived within 100 miles of each other in north-western europe. DNATribes explained that my results likely reflect ancient connections between Asia and Europe. It is probably the same for you.

John

Comment

How about the idea that genetic inheritance can skip generations? Then again my father and his sister both have epicanthal eye folds (asiatic features) and I got 100% European doesn't make sense. At the same time I was classified anthropologically with a slight Finnic (West-Sibirid) admixture..
        Last edited by Downer101; 21 May 2007, 08:21 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Johnserrat
          You should know that about 2% of Europeans show strong matches to Asia. Personally my results came back strongly as Nepalese, despite the fact that virtually all of my ancestors for the past 500 years lived within 100 miles of each other in north-western europe. DNATribes explained that my results likely reflect ancient connections between Asia and Europe. It is probably the same for you.
          Yes, but this also means that the test would in certain cases would fail a blind test (some individuals would wrongly be considered asian). The "weird" thing is also that both of your parents and your offspring (if all of native European stock) would likely all fall into the European category while you did not. This is because the markers in question always "shuffle" trough each generations and maybe in 2 of 100 cases the individual get "asian looking" genes even the individual has no closer relationship with asians than other europeans. This is a property of these autosomal STR I do not like.

Noaide

Comment

Originally posted by Noaide
            Yes, but this also means that the test would in certain cases would fail a blind test (some individuals would wrongly be considered asian). The "weird" thing is also that both of your parents and your offspring (if all of native European stock) would likely all fall into the European category while you did not. This is because the markers in question always "shuffle" trough each generations and maybe in 2 of 100 cases the individual get "asian looking" genes even the individual has no closer relationship with asians than other europeans. This is a property of these autosomal STR I do not like.

Noaide
            Tribes, CSFS, ENFSI and Omnipop all employ profile-matching algorithms that compare one's entire allelic profile to the profiles of diverse populations. So, it may be less a matter of 'asian looking' genes than an Asian-looking profile - a particular combination of specific alleles that has greater frequency among an Asian population.
            Last edited by tomcat; 22 May 2007, 03:28 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by tomcat
              Tribes, CSFS, ENFSI and Omnipop all employ profile-matching algorithms that compare one's entire allelic profile to the profiles of diverse populations. So, it may be less a matter of 'asian looking' genes than an Asian-looking profile - a particular combination of specific alleles that has greater frequency among an Asian population.
              This is very true and often forgotten. I hope to test my parents at some point and my kids to see what the result will be. I just need to win a small lottery pot...

John

Comment

Working...
              X