Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Admixture or autosomal tests for percentages?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Autosomal here I come!

Originally posted by Jim Honeychuck
    KCat,

You didn't get many responses last night, and it could be because there has been much criticism of percentage-based testing.

Notice how quiet this results log has been: http://www.kerchner.com/cgi-kerchner/dnaprint.cgi

Personally I think those categories are too broad, and they beg questions which the test can't answer.

I have learned a lot from another kind of testing, autosomal, which gives "match scores" rather than percentages. It can be hard to interpret, because this type of testing picks up on alleged matches which must be very ancient. Or wrong. And I always encourage people to check the reference populations before ordering. You won't get a match to any population (like English) which is not in the reference database yet. See http://www.dnatribes.com/populations.html

Good luck in your research.

Jim
    Perentage based testing is not bad if you WANT to know your whole DNA makeup-then it's a blessing.I'm for all testing ,but money is an issue with me it is with most paupers(women,the young,the poor,the unrepresented,small population)but I want to know my ancestry so this is very important to me.But,is it true FT's autosomal results haven't come back yet from Familytree's lab ? Even if I had an abundance of $, I'd be disappointed if my results didn't come back in a few weeks.How long does it take?

Comment

Everyone says autosomal a lil shifty/variable

Originally posted by msc_44
      All results are not 100% accurate i got 85% european 13% east asian and 2% Sub-Saharan African & guess what my father got 85% european and 15% native american so there doing something wrong
      It might be right.You and your Dad share only o some genes. His autosomal shows his two parents and yours shows your 2 parents including your mother whose genes he doesn't have,so maybe you're a little different from youyr daad.

Comment

hey Jambalaia32
        my mother is 85% european 11% native american and 4% Sub-Saharan African. what does my mother have to do with those results they just mislabeled my results

Comment

I'm still amazed one kind of autosomal database (OmniPop 200.1 & ENFSI) says nearly all my matches are African (Angolan) and Hispanic (Spain/Portugal) and another kind (DNAtribes) says most of my matches are from India or Aboriginal Australia... when AFAIK (and confirmed by my well attested genealogy) I'm 100% NW European.

Comment

Originally posted by tomcat
            But is the 'mess' in the test or in your head?

Tribes test performs exactly as advertised. May not be based on a statistical methodology especially useful for 'your' purposes, but is based on an industry-standard, public-domain methodology that has governmental support on two continents.

You got something better?

Hope you do.
            I was not specifically reffering to Tribes. I was reffering to autosomal tests in general, which I think it was what Rainbow was asking. Based on the many testimonies I have read from people who have taken the ABDNA test and Tribes and the many discrepancies they have seen, I tend to think that, up until now, many people may be even more confused after taking those tests. That is the reason why I am still waiting to see if there is a positive evolution in this field and tests become more universally reliable. I may have to wait a long time, it seems. I am always hoping to read about those who have had positive experiences with their results- in other words, that they make sense- but all I tend to see are what appear to be well-grounded complaints and lots of disappointed testees.

Comment

Originally posted by msc_44
              All results are not 100% accurate i got 85% european 13% east asian and 2% Sub-Saharan African & guess what my father got 85% european and 15% native american so there doing something wrong
              Hi msc_44,
              What is your known ancestry? My Mum got an East Asian score too, which I'm thinking is actually Native American based on her Tribes scores (Latin American matches, no reference to the Far East). I'm going to take the test, just to see what I get.
              Personally I find ABDNA easier to comprehend, based on the fact it does only use large regions.
              That's my opinion though.

Comment

my known ancestry is Native American, European, & Sub-Saharan African and it showed up as Native American on my parents test so you had your mom tested and she got east asian so testing you will probably say the same, but you never know you should test anyway and you should also test someone closer to the source like her parents.

Comment

Did they acknowledge that they'd made a mistake with your East Asian score then? Looking on blogs and stuff there are many people with known Native ancestry who get East Asian scores even when their parents or siblings get Native American. I think it's hard for the test to distinguish.
                  But I will get tested. If Mum knew her US father, we wouldn't have bothered with all this testing! Her Mum's 100% English back to 1700.

Comment

Originally posted by burto
                    Did they acknowledge that they'd made a mistake with your East Asian score then? Looking on blogs and stuff there are many people with known Native ancestry who get East Asian scores even when their parents or siblings get Native American. I think it's hard for the test to distinguish.
                    But I will get tested. If Mum knew her US father, we wouldn't have bothered with all this testing! Her Mum's 100% English back to 1700.
                    No I emailed Genetree several times and posted on there forum but they still haven't responded back and I asked them awhile back about mine and they said the where 100% positive and i just ask them about my dads and they said they where 100% positive so apparently they mest up and are to stubborn to admit it so I might be waiting awhile for a response.

Comment

[QUOTE=msc_44]All results are not 100% accurate i got 85% european 13% east asian and 2% Sub-Saharan African & guess what my father got 85% european and 15% native american so there doing something wrong

my mother is 85% european 11% native american and 4% Sub-Saharan African. what does my mother have to do with those results they just mislabeled my results [QUOTE=msc_44]

1) AbDNA agrees on the 85% Euro across all 3 tested.
                      2) The 2% SSAF for msc44 accords with the 4% SSAF of the mother (1/2).
                      3) Although AbDNA differs on EA and NA attributions, msc44's 11% is exactly what one would expect given a 15% father and an 11% mother. So, the mis-attribution does not seem to derive from 'quantity' (of markers, e.g.) but possibly from the absence of one or more specific markers in msc44 results that are deemed determinative to parse the difference between EA and NA.

Comment

1) AbDNA agrees on the 85% Euro across all 3 tested.
                        2) The 2% SSAF for msc44 accords with the 4% SSAF of the mother (1/2).
                        3) Although AbDNA differs on EA and NA attributions, msc44's 11% is exactly what one would expect given a 15% father and an 11% mother. So, the mis-attribution does not seem to derive from 'quantity' (of markers, e.g.) but possibly from the absence of one or more specific markers in msc44 results that are deemed determinative to parse the difference between EA and NA.
                        3) Correction: msc44's 13%X is exactly intermediate to the father's 15%X and the mothers 11%X and that is what one would expect for X. The fact that msc44's X is numerically superior to the mother's X indicates that the divergent attribution is not based on 'quantity.'

Comment

So based on my Mum getting 89% IE 11%EA and my Dad probably getting 100% IE as he is 100% English, what EA score should I get? 5.5%?

Comment

So based on my Mum getting 89% IE 11%EA and my Dad probably getting 100% IE as he is 100% English, what EA score should I get? 5.5%?
                            your results should be 94.5% European & 5.5% East Asian or Native American
                            Last edited by msc_44; 21 March 2007, 02:32 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by burto
                              My bet would be that the assumption of 100% IE for Dad does not pan-out.
                              Last edited by tomcat; 23 March 2007, 11:16 AM.

Comment

My bet would be that the assumption of 100% IE for Dad does not pan-out.
                                Noooooo don't say that, it'll just complicate things

Comment

Working...
                                X