mtdna gives same earliest ancestor 6 times at distance 1

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• mtdna gives same earliest ancestor 6 times at distance 1

I have done all the dna tests on familytreedna plus ancestry etc but I'm trying to find my mothers line back to the 1500's. Via ancestry dna tests along with normal genealogy tracing I can get back to 1735 with some certainty, a female named Jane in Lancashire UK. The vast majority of my maternal 17th century ancestors came from around Lancashire.

However mtdna has 6 hits at genetic distance 1 to Marie Boisdon, b. 1615 and d. 1687 in France. I also have a number of unexplained autosomal hits to US/Canada leading me to believe my mothers line came from France and moved to UK, US and Canada

I have a genetic distance 0 hit with a Jane Taylor, a surname that is common in my tree dating to 1790 also in Lancashire (who also emigrated to US)

Is it plausible that the common ancestor came from France in the 1500's and Jane 1735 is of French decent from the 1600's and the Taylor family is somehow involved? (there are many cousin marriages in my tree). Any idea when the Jane 1735 - Marie Boisdon common ancestor might be?

I have about 100 mtdna matches from 0 to distance 3

Steve

You talking about matches with FMS? Do the matches appear not to be from people who might be closely related?

Just out of curiosity, what is the haplogroup?

Appreciate it. Very interesting!

Comment

Hi

The mtdna halogroup is J2a1a1, search is HVR1, HVR2, coding regions which I believe you mean FMS

The 0 match is a Jane Taylor from Preston in 1795 which is about 20 miles from where I was born, there are lots of Taylors in my direct & indirect ancestry
      Ironically some lines I can trace one line back to the 1200's but on my mothers line I hit a brickwall in 1735, no conclusive records of a surname for Jane 1735. I can find most ancestor lines back to the 1600's, some to the 1500's but my mothers line is the most challenging which is why I did the full mtdna test, to try to bridge the gap from UK to France

The 100 or so hits appear to be French, French Canadian, US, European names, not typical 17th century Lancashire names

I actually miscounted, 7 people quote Marie Boisdon not 6 as earliest ancestor (no idea who she was?)

Ultimately I believe her ancestors came from Sweden, most of my other mothers ancestors had typical English names back to 1600

(The UK ancestry dna matches have a surprising number of hits going back to the 1600's - lots of intermarriages, even resolved one illegitimate birth from 200 years ago)

Comment

Thanks, HVR1-HVR2-coding regions was what I meant.

That is a lot of matches which you have. Of course I am from an entirely different haplogroup - H5. to be exact. I only have seven matches 3 at GD=2 and 4 at GE=3. Curiously I (well, my mother) was grouped with one of the GD=4 kits. I have been able to determine a common matrilineal ancestor born around 1720.

I hope you find your answer. I know that I would be looking forward to hearing it.

Comment

You've had better luck than I've had. FMS shows 12 matches from 0 to 3 and nine of those are 0 step. All of the matches, but one have done the FF test and not one of them matches me in that test. The one that didn't do the FF, I've been in contact with and there is no obvious link between us either by name or geographic location. And information from FTDNA tells me that I'm from an uncommon branch of H. My matches even at the 0 step may be way back before genetic testing like FF can help. I was so hoping to find someone who would connect to my great-grandmother.

Comment

One thing that you have to remember is that a lot of people have someone listed as their earliest ancestor along the paternal or maternal line, but they could be wrong. If a name shows up a number of times the people testing may all be from the same recent genetic line. In my 12 matches I have three 0 step matches that list the same name for earliest female ancestor. They also all share the same current last name, so I think of them as 1 match.

Comment

Originally posted by keigh View Post
              You've had better luck than I've had. FMS shows 12 matches from 0 to 3 and nine of those are 0 step. All of the matches, but one have done the FF test and not one of them matches me in that test. The one that didn't do the FF, I've been in contact with and there is no obvious link between us either by name or geographic location. And information from FTDNA tells me that I'm from an uncommon branch of H. My matches even at the 0 step may be way back before genetic testing like FF can help. I was so hoping to find someone who would connect to my great-grandmother.
              I have about a 100 hits but Its unfortunate that many interesting matches don't have associated trees. Strangely no updates for a year, perhaps people aren't doing mtdna that often?

Comment

Originally posted by steveorobec View Post

I have about a 100 hits but Its unfortunate that many interesting matches don't have associated trees. Strangely no updates for a year, perhaps people aren't doing mtdna that often?
                I think my last new match on the FMS was in 9/2018. I find the results for the mtDNA far less useful than the Y-DNA.

Comment

Working...
                X