Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Mother, sister and me different Ancestores!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mother, sister and me different Ancestores!

Hi all!

My mother, my sister and me, we all 3 made the MtDNA Test.

We don't have the same name and we live on 3 different places in the world.

I wonder how come that we haven't got the same ancestores??

My mother got INUIT. My sister got Italian. Me I got Native American. But our Ancestores are not from North America or Italy.

I don't know how much I can trust those Tests! Could it be that the americans just choose an ancestor which fit with the place where we live? I mean we are from the same country but we don't live in the same country.

Maybe someone here can help me?

Lina22

Are you seeing these ethnic groups (the Inuit, Italian and Native American) in your mtDNA results, on the "mtDNA - Ancestral Origins" page in your accounts? If not, on exactly what page are you seeing them?

Also, what type of mtDNA test did you, your sister and your mother take? Was it the mtDNA Plus test, or the mtDNA Full Sequence test? What haplogroup designation did you each receive?

These tests do NOT use where you live to give results. Results also do not matter based on whatever your name is, or where you currently live. Results are based only from your DNA.
    Last edited by KATM; 9th August 2019, 02:45 PM.

Comment

Hi KATM!

Yes it's on the ""mtDNA - Ancestral Origins", full Sequence Test.

Comment

Were you all in the same haplogroup?

Comment

Okay. The issue here is that the locations you see on the Ancestral Origins page are not predicted by your mtDNA. The locations are from information that your mtDNA matches have given, for their Most Distant Known Ancestor in their direct maternal line (the mother's mother's mother's mother, etc., no males in the line). Your matches may or may not know who their Most Distant Known Ancestor is, or where she lived. Or, they only know a few generations back, so show that ancestor. You may be related to them, but it could be many generations in the past, hundreds or thousands of years.

Make sure you are looking at the section in Ancestral Origins that shows your matches in the "HVR1, HVR2 and Coding Regions" section, not the "HVR1" or "HVR1 and HVR2" matches. The Genetic Distance is important, too. The matches with the least Genetic Distance (0 or 1) will probably be more likely to be related within a genealogical timeframe (500 years or less). A genealogical timeframe is defined in the FTDNA glossary as "The genealogical time frame is the most recent one to fifteen generations. Recent genealogical times are the last one to five generations."

Inuit is a Native American group; from Roberta Estes' blog post, "Native American Mitochondrial Haplogroups," she says that
          Haplogroups A, B, C, D and X are known as Native American haplogroups, although not all subgroups in each main haplogroup are Native, so one has to be more specific.
          You may want to read the above article, which gives a long list of the Native American subgroups.

For further mtDNA information, read these pages in the FTDNA Learning Center:

Comment

If the mother-daughter relationships are true, shouldn't the matches be almost the same and therefore the ancestral origins list the same, too?

Comment

Originally posted by georgian1950 View Post
              If the mother-daughter relationships are true, shouldn't the matches be almost the same and therefore the ancestral origins list the same, too?
              I would think so, yes. But it is possible that one or more may have had some mutation or back-mutation, or a heteroplasmy that would give them some differences in matching. I don't know much about those issues, but other posters might.

It would be helpful if Lina22 could:
              • tell us if she, her sister, and her mother have the exact same haplogroup
              • if so, see if they have similar matches on their "mtDNA - Matches" page, at Genetic Distance 0, 1 or 2 (without sharing any names, for privacy reasons, of course).
              Last edited by KATM; 9th August 2019, 03:59 PM.

Comment

Hi all
                I am waiting for a few details, then I will give them here.

I just read this: The founder pan-American haplogroup B2 is very common in northwestern South America (52.1%), but also all others (A2, C1b, C1c, C1d, D1, and D4h3a) were detected (supplementary table S3, Supplementary Material online). Only nine mitogenomes, all from Mestizos, were members of Old World haplogroups: L2a1 (N = 1), L3e2b (N = 4), R0a (N = 2), U2d3 (N = 1), and U5b3f (N = 1). These findings are consistent with the multiple ancestral sources (Native Americans, Europeans, and Africans) that have contributed to the formation of the modern Ecuadorian population (González-Andrade et al. 2007; Santangelo et al. 2017). As for Peru, one of the ten mtDNA control regions was classified into an Old World haplogroup, the European U5a1a1.
                It's on this side: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5850732/

Because we got Ancestores from Inca, Peru. But we don't understand why we got 3 different results.

Comment

My Haplogroup is U5a1a1.

Comment

Lena22, do your mother and sister also have the Haplogroup U5a1a1? If not, what Haplogroups did the test results give them?

Comment

If your haplogroup is the same as your mother and sister, U5a1a1, the Inca ancestors from Peru that you have must be from a different line, not your direct maternal line. This is because U5a1a1 is a European haplogroup. Have you, your mother, or your sister done any paper research for all your ancestors? Do you know the names and locations (birthplaces) of your mother's mother, her grandmother, her great-grandmother, etc?

Eupedia shows this for mtDNA haplogroup U5a1a1, but of course this description might apply to a long ago ancestress for you, before records were available:
                      U5a1a1: found mostly in northern, central and eastern Europe and in Central Asia (Uzbekistan) / found in the Afanasievo and Yamna cultures and in Chalcolithic Germany (Bell Beaker)
                      Since there has been much movement for populations in Europe, you may not have knowledge of your earliest maternal ancestors. One of them may have traveled to another place in Europe.

If you want to get matches for your Incan ancestors from Peru, you should take the Family Finder test. There is a sale going on now, so it would be a reduced price, if you are interested.

We'll await your details.

Comment

Oops, please disregard my misreading of your post about the Ecuadoran population. Since you said "Because we got Ancestores from Inca, Peru," I now think that you were saying that you have known ancestors in your U5a1a1 maternal line, who were from Peru, which is mentioned in the paper. Is that correct? Were you saying that you know that some of your direct maternal line ancestors lived in Peru? If you know you have known ancestors who lived in Peru, are you sure they were in your direct maternal line (U5a1a1 haplogroup), and not in another branch?

Regarding how you, your mother and your sister all got different Ancestral Origin match results, we need to figure out why it's that way. It would help a lot if you answer some questions, as others have pointed out:
                        • Did all three of you get assigned the same haplogroup, and if not, what are the others?
                        • Did all three of you get any of the same matches in your mtDNA - Matches page?
                        • Did all three of you get any of the same country matches on the Ancestral Origins page?
                        When you say your mother got Inuit, your sister got Italian, and you got Native American, and that these are from each of your Ancestral Origins pages, we need to figure out if the reason is because you have some difference in your haplogroups, or if it is due to something else.

Please tell us for each of you if these Inuit, Italian, and Native American were mentioned in your Ancestral Origins list in the "HVR1, HVR2, and Coding Region" section, and at what Genetic Distance they matched (example: Inuit for your mother in her "HVR1, HVR2, and Coding Region" section, at Genetic Distance 0). From your description, it seems you are saying that your mother had an Ancestral Origins match that indicated the earliest known direct maternal line ancestor was Inuit, but this match did not appear at all for you or your sister. And the same situation for you with Native American, and your sister with Italian; these Ancestral Origins matches do not appear in the others' lists. Is that correct?

U5a1a1 is still a European haplogroup, though, and not one of the known Native American haplogroups (as discussed in the paper). I checked the supplemental material for the paper, and they did not include the Old World haplogroups in the supplement. I looked at the supplemental material download, and the Old World haplogroups are mentioned in the Brandini et al_Supplementary Information .pdf. only to say that they were excluded, not used in the analyses. Nine were shown in bold in Supplementary Table S1 (p. 9), and classified into Old World mtDNA haplogroups. The material does not describe or discuss the Old World haplogroups mentioned as being shown in bold. So we don't know any details regarding the one Peru control region as U5a1a1, since there is no further mention of the Old World haplogroups in this paper or its supplements. They do not discuss how or when the Old World / European haplogroups appeared in Peru.

Comment

Hi
                          My sister and mother did the dna test by my heritage, and they never got their haplogroup! Wich we found kind of scandalous!!
                          I will try that family finder that I was suggested.
                          And yes we know that we have Peruvian Inca, that is
                          100 %. But in my dna result I can't see it...
                          Anyway I will do this family finder.

Greetings Lina

Comment

Originally posted by Lina22 View Post
                            My sister and mother did the dna test by my heritage, and they never got their haplogroup! Wich we found kind of scandalous!! Greetings Lina
                            I believe 23andMe is the only company that includes a maternal Haplogroup as part of autosomal results. For a meaningful maternal Haplogroup you need full mitochondrial sequence from FTDNA.

My mother, my sister and me, we all 3 made the MtDNA Test.
                            Which company(s) did the MtDNA tests? Autosomal DNA from 23andMe, Ancestry, FTDNA (Family Finder) and MyHeritage are not MtDNA tests.

It would be very helpful if you would tell us which test you ordered from which company for each of the three of you.
                            Last edited by Jim Barrett; 18th August 2019, 07:59 AM.

Comment

Lena22 - 8 years ago I had the same base of knowledge as you; and I was totally confused. So I understand.

Please answer Jim Barrett's specific questions so someone can help you.
                              Last edited by Biblioteque; 18th August 2019, 11:54 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X