MTDNA from Father?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MTDNA from Father?

I just read somewhere that occassionally the mitochondria DNA can be inherited from the paternal line. Is this true?

The scholarly paper I came across said that the authors went through all the literature and found only one case in science history of that occurrence. The presumed (or known?) explanation was that the ovum's DNA had a defect preventing it from destroying the sperm's mitochondrion. (Ordinarily, the ovum destroys the sperm's mitochondrion after uniting with its nuclear DNA.)

Comment

How are you feeling?

Tom

Comment

Mom in Dad?

Originally posted by DHDH
        I just read somewhere that occassionally the mitochondria DNA can be inherited from the paternal line. Is this true?
        Did you get maternal from your Dad? It helps to have a boy to view the male DNA and the girls would have to have a tribe of men in their corner,like the Hebrews who lookout for their ethnic group as a whole.Reliable,consistent. Taking care of the flock or tribe is not really dominating women,but providing for that group's well being,safety and identity-similar to haw a nation looks after it's people and concerns,to see that all is well and intact.But maybe every tribe isn't blessed with the ability to do that.Maybe some malesNtheir gals are organized and others tribes are scattered sheeps.I'm musing on my subject of tribalism and how you're supposed to live or be when everyone near you is a foreign,unrelated,and non-compatible-or contradictory.Maybe Mtdna could be in the father,like on Medical Mysteries on tv,where a woman's childre didn't have her DNA so they didn't appear to be hers.I didn't watch it but how'd they know their DNA didn't match? It's not everyday regular people get DNA tested? It's a concept too deep for most.
        Last edited by Jambalaia32; 17 September 2006, 09:08 AM.

Comment

Yes, it is possible. They are a Chimera.... ie. my mother follows her father's line and not her mother's like it should be.

Even the scientists are learning new things all the time. DNA is not absolute at this point in time.

Comment

[QUOTE= on Medical Mysteries on tv,where a woman's children didn't have her DNA so they didn't appear to be hers.I didn't watch it but how'd they know their DNA didn't match? It's not everyday regular people get DNA tested?[/QUOTE]
            The woman had to have her dna & her children's dna tested to make sure they were hers so that the Washington state welfare agencies would give her benefits etc. When she did not match her children's dna then they accused her of potential 1) welfare fraud; or 2) stealing her children. They threatened to take her children away. It was only when another case on the east coast was discovered & already proven to be a result of chimera, that the judge & state relented (after she was tested for chimeraism). I think that there wouldn't have been this problem if they had tested mtdna instead of regular dna.

Comment

Working...
            X