Could someone help me understand?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Could someone help me understand?

I received my results and I don't understand. My HVR1 is H with no mutations from CRS. My HVR2 is 263G, 315.C. What does it mean and where do I go from here. I thought I was a relatively intelligent person, but this stuff is still baffling me.

Norene

Have you uploaded your results into MitoSearch? However, it appears that MitoSearch doesn't search properly on CRS (no HVR1 mutations). Instead, I had to turn off HVR2 matching and look for matches myself.

First, I assume that your mutations are actually 263G and 315.1C. (Some labs use '.' instead of '.1', but MitoSearch uses '.1'.) I assume that you don't know your subclade. (In other words, you have been told haplogroup H, but not H*, H4, etc.) So, the matches that are also of haplogroup H are:

4DBE5
    2b3jt, from Hanover, Germany
    BH4KD
    A6UDN, from Suffolk, England
    RBVPR, from Olen, Belgium
    TD2GJ, from Norway
    NPHRJ
    ME6HV, from Mallow, Cork, Ireland
    J89FH
    GM5R9, from Maciejow, Ukraine

Except for the Ukrainian, it looks pretty Anglo-Saxon to me.

Comment

Thanks

You're right on your assumptions. Is the new subclade test different than the HVR2? I'll order it if it is. I don't know what the numbers next to the cities and countries mean, but my maternal line did come from Mallow County Cork. Thanks for your help.

Norene

Comment

Duh

The Mallow County Cork user is me.

Comment

Originally posted by ndoster
          Is the new subclade test different than the HVR2? I'll order it if it is.
          Yes, there is an additional test called mt-H which figures out the subclade of someone in mtDNA haplogroup H. On your mtDNA Results page, there should be a note like this:
          ---
          Additional Information on Deeper Ancestry

A recent mtDNA paper now allows us to break down Haplogroup H into 11 major sub branches plus 12 further sub-branches (see link). As several of these sub-branches have been shown to be geographically specific, we recommend the refinement in case you are interested in this additional information on your deeper ancestry.

Click here to order
          ---

Unfortunately, it costs $89.

Comment

Originally posted by ndoster
            I received my results and I don't understand. My HVR1 is H with no mutations from CRS. My HVR2 is 263G, 315.C. What does it mean and where do I go from here. I thought I was a relatively intelligent person, but this stuff is still baffling me.

Norene
            Another thing you might try is to use Google. In the search box, just list all of the mtdna motifs you want to match [e.g. 263g 315c etc.] Be sure to separate them with spaces, no quotes. Start with all of your HVR1 and HVR2 motifs, then delete one motif at a time to get more general matches.

Morris

Comment

I was like you. Not much info with the original test.

The Refine Test does work and is worth it. Did give me more info... and put me in the H-13 group.

However, I wish there was an even more refined test. Because my mother's line is Acadia French and I have yet to find anyone else that is.

Comment

There is a more refined (and expensive) test, that is the full sequencing of mtDNA.

Is it worth it at this point for you? I don't know. Mine is almost done, but once I get it, it won't be something easy to compare to others today, since 16500+ A,C,T, and G's are gonna look like a bunch of letters. But 10 years down the road I won't have to do another test as we learn more.

NDoster, we're off by one marker in HVR1.

Comment

Pauline,

Can it refine the mtDNA enough to show what country my H-13 comes from?
                  If it can,, would be worth it.

Comment

I think "Contenental Area "might be a more appropriate term than Country since mtdna time frames predate our definations of modern country boundries. Just a thought.

Comment

Working...
                    X