Need to be educated

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need to be educated

My name is David Christopher. I just tested my Daughter and the first question is how/what does Female mtDNA mutate so that you get matches with different Genetic Distance. I understand how the male mutations work on STR's but I have no idea what is mutating in mtDNA.

Is it SNP's or does the mitochondria have STR's. My daughter is young and is the only one of 3 that is interested. I want to help her understand how this works and general ideas of how to do research as she has a brick wall on her 2nd grandma b. 1816.

Now I was also was at a brick wall with my 2nd grandfather b. 1820 but with the help of the sponsor of the R-U152 project DF90 branck who has the same haplogroup as me to solve my brick wall using testing of various cousins and Y matches. I am wondering if there is a similar procedure for woman.

Her haplogroup is H5a1p and she has only 10 0 GD matches and 2 matches at 1 genetic distance and 2 at two genetic distance.

Thanks for reading
    David

Originally posted by chrstdvd View Post
    My name is David Christopher. I just tested my Daughter and the first question is how/what does Female mtDNA mutate so that you get matches with different Genetic Distance. I understand how the male mutations work on STR's but I have no idea what is mutating in mtDNA.

Is it SNP's or does the mitochondria have STR's.
    My daughter is young and is the only one of 3 that is interested. I want to help her understand how this works and general ideas of how to do research as she has a brick wall on her 2nd grandma b. 1816.

Now I was also was at a brick wall with my 2nd grandfather b. 1820 but with the help of the sponsor of the R-U152 project DF90 branck who has the same haplogroup as me to solve my brick wall using testing of various cousins and Y matches. I am wondering if there is a similar procedure for woman.

Her haplogroup is H5a1p and she has only 10 0 GD matches and 2 matches at 1 genetic distance and 2 at two genetic distance.

Thanks for reading
    David
    For mtDNA it is SNP mutation/values

Comment

Originally posted by chrstdvd View Post
      That seems like a lot of matches to me! These are coding region? I have 1 zero and 3 ones, nothing else - and I'm pretty generically European. The others in my family have no matches at all.
      1) Contact them.
      2) Find the relevant mtDNA project and hope it's active.
      3) Get the sequence into GenBank. That's for science, not for matches. Giving back.

Comment

Working...
      X