Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

mtDNA FMS Genetic Distance 1 results

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • mtDNA FMS Genetic Distance 1 results

    I have 2 questions. First of all can anyone explain what a mtDNA match means when it is a FMS Genetic Distance 1? I have Distant 1 matches who don't even match my HVR1 or 2 Regions and Distant 1 matches who do. There seems to be no clear explanation in the webinars and the most recent webinars were posted in 2014.

    Second, I have a Family Finder 2nd to 4th cousin match. We decided to take the mtDNA test to prove my theory that she was a direct maternal 2nd cousin 1x removed; but our test results is showing an exact match in the HVR1 and HVR2 regions; but a FMS distance of 1 representing the coding region. Can anyone help interpret these results? Thanks!

  • #2
    Originally posted by rawilliams5465 View Post
    I have 2 questions. First of all can anyone explain what a mtDNA match means when it is a FMS Genetic Distance 1? I have Distant 1 matches who don't even match my HVR1 or 2 Regions and Distant 1 matches who do. There seems to be no clear explanation in the webinars and the most recent webinars were posted in 2014.
    There is not a simple answer to the first question - FMS matches with GD 1 could share a common maternal ancestor between 1 generation to several hundred generations ago. You can get better estimate by looking at the age estimate of your subclade and counting the number of extra mutations in your maternal line.

    Originally posted by rawilliams5465 View Post
    Second, I have a Family Finder 2nd to 4th cousin match. We decided to take the mtDNA test to prove my theory that she was a direct maternal 2nd cousin 1x removed; but our test results is showing an exact match in the HVR1 and HVR2 regions; but a FMS distance of 1 representing the coding region. Can anyone help interpret these results? Thanks!
    It is extremely unlikely that two random people would match at a GD of 1 by chance, so I think this does indicate a potential recent relationship on the maternal line. But I would look more closely at your subclade and how common it is to be more certain. If you have a very common subclade with no recent mutations, there is a possibility the person might have a more distant maternal relationship. But without more information, I do think it is very likely that the GD 1 matches supports your theory. Mutations are random events, and there are cases of very close relatives with a GD of 1 or 2.

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by GST View Post
      There is not a simple answer to the first question - FMS matches with GD 1 could share a common maternal ancestor between 1 generation to several hundred generations ago. You can get better estimate by looking at the age estimate of your subclade and counting the number of extra mutations in your maternal line.



      It is extremely unlikely that two random people would match at a GD of 1 by chance, so I think this does indicate a potential recent relationship on the maternal line. But I would look more closely at your subclade and how common it is to be more certain. If you have a very common subclade with no recent mutations, there is a possibility the person might have a more distant maternal relationship. But without more information, I do think it is very likely that the GD 1 matches supports your theory. Mutations are random events, and there are cases of very close relatives with a GD of 1 or 2.

      I have two mtDNA matches that have 1 genetic distance. One whom is adopted so doesn't have a tree, the other who has a tree going back several maternal generations. What do you mean by checking the subclade? My mtDNA is K1a2a. I'm trying to use DNA to find my grandmother's birth parents. I think I've found her birth mother, but would love to match her tree up with this mtDNA match with 1 genetic distance.

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by NWHoosier View Post
        I'm trying to use DNA to find my grandmother's birth parents. I think I've found her birth mother, but would love to match her tree up with this mtDNA match with 1 genetic distance.
        Have you all done FamilyFinder as well? If you have not done it, strongly suggest you do so.

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by NWHoosier View Post
          I have two mtDNA matches that have 1 genetic distance. One whom is adopted so doesn't have a tree, the other who has a tree going back several maternal generations. What do you mean by checking the subclade? My mtDNA is K1a2a. I'm trying to use DNA to find my grandmother's birth parents. I think I've found her birth mother, but would love to match her tree up with this mtDNA match with 1 genetic distance.
          1 genetic distance really does not tell you much since k1a2a is estimated to be between 5,200 and 13,200 years. Your match could anyware from 1 generation ago to thousands of generations.

          See
          http://haplogroup.org/mtdna/rsrs/l12...1a/k1a2/k1a2a/

          Mtdna is many cases is really not very useful for genetic genealogy. Family Finder is what need to verify.

          Comment

          Working...
          X