genetic distance

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• genetic distance

I have only 2 matches on my full sequence, but both have a distance of 3. At a distance of three when deciding how these people r related, am I to assume these two people r related pregenealogical redords?

Does your mtDNA Result contain a Heteroplasmy?
    https://www.familytreedna.com/learn/...-nomenclature/

https://www.familytreedna.com/learn/?s=heteroplasmy

Comment

Originally posted by jtdeible99 View Post
      I have only 2 matches on my full sequence, but both have a distance of 3. At a distance of three when deciding how these people r related, am I to assume these two people r related pregenealogical redords?
      You really need to determine what mutations are the cause of the 3-step difference. In most cases a 3-step match will share a common maternal ancestor thousands of years ago, but there are rare cases in which heteroplasmies or fast mutating sites are counted as steps, and these people may be much more recently related. I know of a case in which a person was a 3-step match to her mother and a 4-step match to her sister, however, this is extremely rare.

Comment

Also - matches are not being shown correctly for many of the new FMS test results, so I would check the match list again after FTDNA fixes their match search. Not sure when that will be.

Comment

GST,

Is this the issue where two people have the same mtDNA mutations, but on the results page it lists their missing or additional mutations differently?

-Darren

Comment

Originally posted by Darren View Post
            GST,

Is this the issue where two people have the same mtDNA mutations, but on the results page it lists their missing or additional mutations differently?

-Darren
            Hi Darren - I emailed Rebekah with some examples. Mutations seem to be shown correctly but the matches are not shown accurately, e.g., person A has person B in their match list, but B does not have A in their match list. And there are lots of missing matches - a person that should have 70 0-step matches only has two.

Thanks,
            Gail

Comment

matches

I've noticed that GST. People which are in the same row as me in my haplo study do not come up as matches. In all cases they have 1 snp different than I do in the little snp list on the right.

Comment

Hi GST,

I will let Rebekah report what you have sent her. Feel free to follow up with me if nothing has changed in the next couple of months.

-Darren

Comment

Originally posted by Darren View Post
                  GST,

-Darren
                  Darren,

We are seeing this problem with all of our FMS matches since mid-November. I reported it to Support on Dec. 21; and added two more kits to the ticket a few days later. Now we have two more.

Today I checked more closely and see that all kits (in our project) that had a "Returned date" for FGS tests after mid-November have these two issues: incorrect FMS matches, and spurious extra/missing mutations.

Comment

Hi, I am experiencing a similar issue after receiving my mother's FMS results, which yield a GD of 3 against my FMS results, with 3 additional extra mutations and 0 shared matches for my mother's kit as opposed to a few matches resulting for my kit. My mother's results were posted on December 15.

I contacted customer support at FTDNA but have not had any reply whatsoever, not even to acknowledge, so am in complete dark.

I posted in the situation in this forum and have submitted the FTDNA results (i.e. FASTA files and reports) to a geneticist (my cousin) for review and have his opinion whether this is a heteroplasmy case or not.

Will keep track of your post too and thanks for sharing the information. Krgds. MC

Comment

Originally posted by mcornejo View Post
                      Hi, I am experiencing a similar issue after receiving my mother's FMS results, which yield a GD of 3 against my FMS results, with 3 additional extra mutations and 0 shared matches for my mother's kit as opposed to a few matches resulting for my kit. My mother's results were posted on December 15.

. . .

Will keep track of your post too and thanks for sharing the information. Krgds. MC
                      Yes, I believe we are talking about the same thing. It's a difficult point to get across because most people never give those Extra Mutations and Missing Mutations a second glance. (See these on your MTDNA Results page. Administrators can see the extra/missing mutations in their Detailed RSRS Reports.)

When you compare the actual mutation lists for you and your mother, they are identical in every way. No different last letters, etc.

But when you compare the rows that say Extra Mutations, your mother shows 3 that you do not have - even though your mutations are exactly the same. Is this correct?

Comment

I sent an email to the management team asking for a follow up on this, as I haven't heard anything recently.

-Darren
                        Family Tree DNA

Comment

Working...
                        X