Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

WHY doesn't my MATERNAL Uncle match mine and mother's mtDNA when she's his sister!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• WHY doesn't my MATERNAL Uncle match mine and mother's mtDNA when she's his sister!

My mtDNA is "T", but my maternal uncle's is R2'JT. I must say that my kit results follow my genealogy facts to the letter, and what I was told by my Grandmother, his own mother. I must also say that my maternal uncle should have the identical mtDNA to me, and especially as there are strong resemblances between him and my son, they have a similar voice, body hair patterns etc. Uncle also strongly resembles his father in build, but my main point is that while people can have a non-paternity event, everyone knows Grandmother was his mother. He also resembles me in the shape of ears, hands and feet, nose, curly hair and other such details. Uncle is my mother's fullblood brother. Could the kit have been mixed up?

Originally posted by Anne-Boyd-Reyes View Post
    My mtDNA is "T", but my maternal uncle's is R2'JT. I must say that my kit results follow my genealogy facts to the letter, and what I was told by my Grandmother, his own mother. I must also say that my maternal uncle should have the identical mtDNA to me, and especially as there are strong resemblances between him and my son, they have a similar voice, body hair patterns etc. Uncle also strongly resembles his father in build, but my main point is that while people can have a non-paternity event, everyone knows Grandmother was his mother. He also resembles me in the shape of ears, hands and feet, nose, curly hair and other such details. Uncle is my mother's fullblood brother. Could the kit have been mixed up?
    Children of the same biological mother should indeed all share the mother's mtDNA.

I believe they are infrequent, but there have been instances of kit mix-ups.

Comment

T is a further refinement of R2'JT. I might be wrong but I don't think anyone today is 'only' or 'just' R2'JT; very few mutations from the root...

Did you both have Full Sequence testing? This sort of thing happens all the time with 23andMe testing which doesn't test nearly the same number of SNPs, plus has a high rate of no-calls. I wouldn't get excited unless both were FMS tested.

Let us know.

Bob H

Comment

I think hansonrf is on the right track.

Take a look at the Phylotree for R and you'll see that T is a subclade of R2'JT.

http://www.phylotree.org/tree/subtree_R.htm

Compared to Y, mtDNA has a weird clade naming scheme!

Comment

possibly version 4 result?

Did your uncle only recently take the 23andMe test? If so, he may have been tested with their new version, which has been stripped of a lot of SNPs, in order to make it more economical for the company.

If this was a version 4 result (and they did strip a lot of mtDNA SNPs) then it would be a real shame, as this would make their test a whole lot less useful for ancestry purposes.

Comment

Originally posted by gtc View Post
            ...Compared to Y, mtDNA has a weird clade naming scheme!
            Hi,

Yah.... There are rumors that most mtDNA phylogenists sip absinthe as they work and attend tea parties wearing size 9 1/2 hats. As an mtDNA phylogenist myself, I plead the 5th. ;-)

Comment

Originally posted by hansonrf View Post
              T is a further refinement of R2'JT. I might be wrong but I don't think anyone today is 'only' or 'just' R2'JT; very few mutations from the root...
              Bob H
              I am not an expert on other companies results or 3rd party tools, but you may be able to download both files and run them through James Lick's utility.

Comment

It seems to me a lot is being read into the question.

Anne-Boyd-Reyes, please tell us what test each person has taken and where the kit came from.

Comment

Another Possibility

Anne-Boyd-Reyes: You said, "Everyone knows Grandmother was his mother." KNOWS, or thinks? Grandfather could have fathered the Uncle by another woman, and then brought the child (Uncle) into the home as a newborn for Grandmother to raise. No one the wiser. (Maybe the mother died in childbirth). STRANGER THINGS HAVE HAPPENED. And look at the family resemblance again. You spoke of family resemblance to Grandfather - not Grandmother.

Somehow my scenario seems more credible than the lab mixing up the tests..........
                  Last edited by Biblioteque; 23 January 2014, 08:17 AM. Reason: add

Comment

Originally posted by marietta View Post
                    Somehow my scenario seems more credible than the lab mixing up the tests..........
                    Did you notice that the OP and her maternal uncle both belong the same high level haplogroup?

If they have each been tested by different means then that may explain why their results don't, as yet, coincide at the subclade classification level.

More information needed from the OP on that.

Comment

gtc: Thank you for pointing that out. Hopefully, Anne will keep us apprised. Don't we love mysteries!

Comment

Originally posted by hansonrf View Post

Did you both have Full Sequence testing? This sort of thing happens all the time with 23andMe testing which doesn't test nearly the same number of SNPs, plus has a high rate of no-calls. I wouldn't get excited unless both were FMS tested.

Let us know.

Bob H
                        I didn't realize that T and R2'JT were so close. My Uncle and I have both had GENO 2.0 transfers. (Geno2 seems pretty concerned about mtDNA and YDNA and has special map scenerios to display it.) My Geno2 info transferred last year but his has just transferred a few months ago. I have taken FamilyFinder, but results not complete and are about 3 weeks from posting. His FamilyFinder kit is still enroute. I guess I'll have to wait to see what it delineates.

Comment

Thank you for all the ideas...I didn't realize that T and R2'JT were so close. My Uncle and I have both had GENO 2.0 transfers. (Geno2 seems pretty concerned about mtDNA and YDNA and has special map scenerios to display it.) My Geno2 info transferred last year but his has just transferred a few months ago. I have taken FamilyFinder, but results not complete and are about 3 weeks from posting. His FamilyFinder kit is still enroute. I guess I'll have to wait to see what it delineates.
                          23rd January 2014 06:33 AM

Marietta, I know things like that could happen, but not with him. My Grandfater was a different kind of guy, and undoubtedly a virgin at marriage. The last thing I would ever imagine is him having a twinkle in his eye. All he ever wanted to do was study and perfect a species of tomato he was developing. But thanks for thinking outside the box anyway.

Comment

Originally posted by Anne-Boyd-Reyes View Post
                            I didn't realize that T and R2'JT were so close. My Uncle and I have both had GENO 2.0 transfers. (Geno2 seems pretty concerned about mtDNA and YDNA and has special map scenerios to display it.) My Geno2 info transferred last year but his has just transferred a few months ago.
                            Hi Anne,

If you haven't yet, please report this issue to Customer Support using the Feedback link on the FTDNA website. I heard today that there may be an issue with the mtDNA haplogroups of some recent Geno transfers, and FTDNA's engineering team is checking into it. So it would be good for them to see another example.

Elise

Comment

Yes, have now gone to customer support

Thank you Elise, and everyone for ideas and suggestions. I've now apprised Customer Support, and look forward to their responses.
                              A

Comment

Working...
                              X