Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Maternal grandma is a K! Paternal grandma is an H!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Maternal grandma is a K! Paternal grandma is an H!

Got some questions. I tested my mother's mtDNA HVR 1 & 2 (via her brother) and the results show her mtDNA to be "K" but when I go to her matches, which are next to none, in both regions she appears to match two people with K1e. What does all this mean?

When I google mtDNA "K" I get lots of different information. When I google mtDNA "K1" I continue to get lots of information. HOWEVER, when I google "K1e" I get nothing!

My mother did submit her spit to Ancestry.com and she, like so many others, showed: 90% Scandinavian, 6% Turkish/Persian/Caucasus, 4% uncertain. Does my mother's spit test make any sense in regards to this test result from FTDNA showing her mtDNA to be "K"?

(I submitted my spit to Ancestry and got this: 48% Scandinavian, 35% British Isles, 14% Southern European, 3% uncertain.)

Anyone got any ideas for me?

It means that K cannot be discerned from K1e based on HVR 1&2 (the Hyper Variable Regions) and that the defining mutations for K1e are in the Coding Region, an area only tested by the FMS (or selectively by the Geno 2.0 or 23&Me tests).

Comment

When you test just HVR1 and/or HVR1+HVR2, you're only given a "backbone" haplogroup, which is usually just the capital letter. Those who have done the Full Mitochondrial Sequence (FMS) test also find out what subclade (subgroup) they are in.

So, your uncle's matches who are listed as K1e should have done the FMS test. You can confirm by looking at the column to the right of the matches' names on the mtDNA Matches page -- there's a notation that identifies the highest level each match has tested. If you're looking at your uncle's HVR1+HVR2 match list, then the notations will say either HVR2 or FMS. If you're looking at his HVR1 match list, then you'll see HVR1, HVR2 and/or FMS.

If K1e is the only subclade of K that shows when you look at your uncle's matches, then it's very likely that your uncle's subclade would also be K1e if you upgraded him to the FMS.

I recommend you join your uncle's kit to the Haplogroup K project. The project admin, Bill Hurst, is very knowledgeable and can help you better understand how your uncle fits into the grand scheme of haplogroup K. Bill also reads this forum, so he might even respond here. Either way, you should join the project.

http://www.familytreedna.com/public/mtDNA_K

Elise

Comment

Re: grandmother's K mtDNA

Ok, I'll write this again (just finished writing and it totally disappeared lol). Thank you to all who submitted information. I do appreciate it.

I did go in and signed my uncle into the K haplogroup project. I'm very interested in discovering more about this particular haplogroup. Especially since my uncle's mtDNA has only two ancestral origins and matches.

And it appears that I'll need to test further to gather more definitive information. However, that will need to wait until the next sale .

Thank you

Comment

Go to James Lick's mtDNA site

http://dna.jameslick.com/mthap/

and upload your info. Many K groups don't need extensive testing to identify their clades. FTDNA however, prefers to charge you more money for this information.

At the first HVR1 testing my DNA came back K but it was easily seen I was K1a10 I got the next level test for no apparent reason, because it didn't clarify any further. Through research and helpful folks like Bill Hurst and several others, I now know I'm K1a10a all without additional tests. Although, I have been verified by the 99 dollar 23andMe test which I did for it's autosomal matching. The verified mtDNA group was just a side benefit.

Comment

Originally posted by tomcat View Post
            It means that K cannot be discerned from K1e based on HVR 1&2 (the Hyper Variable Regions) and that the defining mutations for K1e are in the Coding Region, an area only tested by the FMS (or selectively by the Geno 2.0 or 23&Me tests).
            Hi all,

Mushypeas, I assume, did join the K Project yesterday. Thanks, Elise. And Tomcat, I can discern K1e from plain K with HVR only. I will move mushypeas into the K1e Subgroup when FTDNA fixes the Subgrouping process. Hi again Elise.

Mushypeas, I do hope you will eventually take the FMS test. The 16140C branch of K1e only has you and your exact FMS matches, but you could have a difference from them in the coding region, which might eventually lead to a new, deeper subclade.

Sorry I didn't look at this forum yesterday, but I see the question was well handled in my absence!

Bill Hurst

Comment

Originally posted by Bill Hurst View Post
              I will move mushypeas into the K1e Subgroup when FTDNA fixes the Subgrouping process. Hi again Elise.
              The next GAP code update should include the fix for this. Probably by early-mid next week, if not sooner.

Elise

Comment

Originally posted by efgen View Post
                The next GAP code update should include the fix for this. Probably by early-mid next week, if not sooner.

Elise
                Thanks, Elise. I sent a list of problems to the helpdesk two days ago. Maybe they will fix all of them! hah.

Bill Hurst

Comment

K1e

Hi,
                  Anyone help me with this Haplogroup, my furthest known ancestor being Bridget Foley born 1818 in County Limerick.
                  Any help would be really appreciated

Patrick

Comment

Working...
                  X