Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Me Newbie

Hi I1as!

My dad is the I1a and I know next to nothing about DNA as evidenced by the fact that on I can find but one post? Is that just me or am I missing something? I know I had problems logging on and had to write to FTDNA to get my password worked out...

So, for starters... "The I1a lineage likely has its roots in northern France. Today it is found most frequently within Viking / Scandinavian populations in northwest Europe and has since spread down into Central and Eastern Europe, where it is found at low frequencies."

We're of an EMBRY lineage. There's an EMBRY town and decimated castle in northern France that may have been there since at least around the 600's. Does the I1a then indicate that my dad's furthest back ancestor may be from this town? There were Vikings who raided and settled in this area during several early periods. Today most Embrys (outside of the US) live in SOUTHERN France).

Is all this too recent to be related to the DNA?

I look forward any thoughts.

Giselle Embry

Hi Giselle:

there are many I1a's on this forum, so certainly they'll be able to help you out. As you say, I1a is most common among Skandinavians, but it is present also in the rest of Europe (including Southern France). This per se doesn't give much information about the origin. It could be Viking, but it need not be.

By the way, in the sentence you cite, "origin in Northern France" means very ancient, prehistoric times. Northern Europe was covered by ice, so nobody was living there. When the ices receded, I1a men were probably the first or among the first to move into the area, which is why I1a is common there. Later on, of course, Viking people moved back south.

Did you upload the results on ysearch? This could be useful because the STR numbers may give information about sublineages, eg whether you have more matches in Skandinavia, Northern France, or more Southern places, and hence may help answer your question.

cacio

Comment

Working...
    X