Invitations from FTDNA admins has a problem

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Invitations from FTDNA admins has a problem

When I issue a JOIN request, FTDNA automatically appends a note saying "Use the link below to join the project and purchase your DNA test."

This sends a confusing message to invitees that there is a further purchase required, and since I have never invited anyone who does not already have an order or result, I find that this is a discouragement to potential members who misinterpret this language.

Does anyone else agree?

There are two different links for join requests - someone else more familiar can perhaps provide info on how to send the one for folks who already have a Kit vs how to send the other one for folks not having a Kit.

You can see the two choices on "Project Profile" -
    the one with "...&code=..." - that gives a list of tests to purchase to join.
    The other is for joining when you already have - and are logged into - a Kit.

Comment

Thanks, for responding, I see what you are referring to on Profile as a Join link and a Returning Join link.
      I have always used the administrator's item of Join Authorization, which only offers Send a request and View a request, and the default for the recipient is the "Purchase" note mentioned in my first posting.
      The only way I can see to get around this is to copy the JOIN links and send from my personal e-mail.This seems needlessly clunky but I will experiment with each one, I guess try to send to myself or a willing guinea pig.
      I would prefer a setup for the admin that explicitly allows one or the other.
      Thanks again, if anyone has a better way, please respond here.
      Last edited by clintonslayton76; 9th February 2018, 10:39 AM. Reason: completing

Comment

The Help item on the page clarifies somewhat...

The admin page for Join Authorization states that this is to invite people to test at a discount by Joining a project, which is useful.

But there needs to be an item for inviting existing accounts, in my opinion, and I do not see where the Returning Join link on the Project Profile comes into play for any admin page. Am I missing something?
        Last edited by clintonslayton76; 11th February 2018, 11:11 AM. Reason: punctuation

Comment

Working...
        X